B-17 over Hudson

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nimtz

Any idea who is flying the B-17 up down the Hudson across from Manhattan? Been going on yesterday and today. Don't think there is any air show going on and its flown past at least a dozen times. BTW awesome site on the NYC skyline...

I saw a DC-6 (C-54) twice painted in MATS colors flying down the Hudson. Did you see a B-17 too, or a DC-6 that you mistook for a B-17? I assumed it was there for the airshow at TEB last week but then I saw it again yesterday.

The military version of the DC-6 is the C-118. The DC-4 is the civil version of the C-54 that you're thinking of.

Yankee Lady

Any idea who is flying the B-17 up down the Hudson across from Manhattan? Been going on yesterday and today. Don't think there is any air show going on and its flown past at least a dozen times. BTW awesome site on the NYC skyline...
It was the "Yankee Lady" out of Willow Run airport, it belongs to the Yankee Air Force. It was giving rides to people out of TEB. I was up there doing the same thing last year.

Any connection to the last game being played at Yankee Stadium yesterday? Festivities went from 1 PM right throught midnight. Yankees are getting a new home come the 2009 season.

The military version of the DC-6 is the C-118. The DC-4 is the civil version of the C-54 that you're thinking of.

I gotta stay away from these Air Force designations being a former Naval Aviator. I should have said R6D. Anyone have any ideas on the DC-6. The aircraft I saw twice in the past week was not a B-17.

Last edited:
I apologize for the zoomie designations, AirCobra. You're right; R5D = DC-4, R6D = DC-6.

I also apologize for doing nothing to answer the question of this thread [I was nowhere near Manhatten on that day].

Latest resources

Back