• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

B-17 over Hudson

nimtz

Total Time
?
Any idea who is flying the B-17 up down the Hudson across from Manhattan? Been going on yesterday and today. Don't think there is any air show going on and its flown past at least a dozen times. BTW awesome site on the NYC skyline...

AirCobra

Total Time
I saw a DC-6 (C-54) twice painted in MATS colors flying down the Hudson. Did you see a B-17 too, or a DC-6 that you mistook for a B-17? I assumed it was there for the airshow at TEB last week but then I saw it again yesterday.

Waldom

Fifteen blades!
Total Time
The military version of the DC-6 is the C-118. The DC-4 is the civil version of the C-54 that you're thinking of.

pilotyip

Total Time
Yankee Lady

Any idea who is flying the B-17 up down the Hudson across from Manhattan? Been going on yesterday and today. Don't think there is any air show going on and its flown past at least a dozen times. BTW awesome site on the NYC skyline...
It was the "Yankee Lady" out of Willow Run airport, it belongs to the Yankee Air Force. It was giving rides to people out of TEB. I was up there doing the same thing last year.

Amish RakeFight

Registered Loser
Total Time
Any connection to the last game being played at Yankee Stadium yesterday? Festivities went from 1 PM right throught midnight. Yankees are getting a new home come the 2009 season.

AirCobra

Total Time
The military version of the DC-6 is the C-118. The DC-4 is the civil version of the C-54 that you're thinking of.

I gotta stay away from these Air Force designations being a former Naval Aviator. I should have said R6D. Anyone have any ideas on the DC-6. The aircraft I saw twice in the past week was not a B-17.

Last edited:

Waldom

Fifteen blades!
Total Time
I apologize for the zoomie designations, AirCobra. You're right; R5D = DC-4, R6D = DC-6.

I also apologize for doing nothing to answer the question of this thread [I was nowhere near Manhatten on that day].