AWAC's future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

c152

I keep hearing that they are getting dropped by airtran? Is there any truth to it? Also if that is the case how come they keep hiring? Also is the any hope of an IAD base?

A friend of mine who is pretty senior said he's sure they're preparing for change. Cut-backs in the future would be the result of someone else taking over Airtran flying and United giving the DEN flying to Skywest. He said the IAD was a wait and see issue, but did'nt think management was in an expansion mode.

Apparently the hiring is continuing because of the number of pilot's leaving and not growth. He said most of the people leaving are FO's, and anyone looking to upgrade should look at Skywest or Mesa or Great Lakes for better long-term career advancement.

Hope this helps.

Depends who you ask...

Some higher ups say they are confident the 20 new jets are coming. Others say maybe not... Some say Dulles is a done deal... just waiting to announce it. Others say that talks with Airtran are hung up on the 70 seat issue while others say it isn't a big sticking point. Believe none of what you read and only half of what you see.

theories are like a$$holes... everyone has them and everybody else's stinks.

Heard from a pretty reliable source that we are getting the 20 more airplanes. however, we won't be taking delivery of them for another year or so because we took too long to decide if we needed them.

as for the dulles base i think my source said middle of may. the ATL domicile manager, L.J., will be the iad domicile manager.

i never heard this directly from management, but from a friend who is in the training dept up in ATW.

Those jets will show up somewhere eventually. Some airline (UA or Airtran) will take advantage of the opportunity to get more RJs. Our management really watch their a$$e$ and protect the company and it's interests (and their employees believe it or not!) so they are very tight lipped about future growth plans. They make sure they are right when they make an announcement. Good company in spite of the situation for the Denver pilots and the displacements.

We have pretty much taken delivery of all the current RJs we had coming. We have an order for 20 more and are currently talking with UAL about flying them. Our company president says the talks are currently stuck on the length of the contract. We sign a/c leases for 20 years and UAL wants to do a 5 year deal so we are trying to find some middle ground. As far as if we will get them and when, that is speculation. I think we will get them but haven't a clue as to when. Hopefully soon.

We are still hiring like crazy and it is for more than attrition. The director of training said something to the effect that it might get even busier for him in the near future. We just hired 19 and another class every 2 weeks (roughly) for the next couple of months.

The management had domocile meetings a few months ago and said IAD was a definite possiblity as a base. I believe it is up in the air because they are waiting to see what ACA and United work out as far as an exit agreement and who UAL gives the flying to.

As far as AirTran, our 1 year agreement is up and they are negotiating. It is my understanding that they are happy with us and would like to keep us if they can work out a new deal. Nobody really knows where those negotiations are at this point.

If you want a good company to work for with good people and decent pay and a good contract than come on down. I don't think AWAC is going to disappear anytime soon. How much we grow is open to much speculation. I wouldn't expect a quick upgrade though. I've been here 1.5 years and I should be able to upgrade if we get those 20 new planes. Otherwise ????

My understanding on the AirTran situation is that the initial contract was for 2 YEARS with a revue after the 1st year to allow for decisions on the future. We still have until the years end on the initial contract. The 1 year deal has been miss understood as the revue period. This is how management touted it at the domicile meetings.

Man, I've been here since June '01 and I MIGHT upgrade with an additional 20 airplanes. I have no idea how 1.5 years of seniority would allow any chance of upgrade.

Don't forget that there was no hiring between June 01 and Sept. 02. A person with 1.5 years seniority is right behind you on the seniority list.

20 airplanes = 100 captains

plus, 40 more are needed just based on the few deliveries we have left, according to the training department. It might not be as bleak as it seems.

c152 said:
I keep hearing that they are getting dropped by airtran? Is there any truth to it? Also if that is the case how come they keep hiring? Also is the any hope of an IAD base?

mesa and skywest can have IAD, that way awac can get back
the flying out of DEN.

Latest resources

Back