AWAC or Republic

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
subin30 said:
why is that? are most RAH pilots lifers? upgrades are not better elsewhere. with the exception of colgan and great lakes. just curious... :beer:
Not necessarily. In maybe the last six months or so people are starting to leave at say two to six a month. To indirectly reiterate what Learlove said above, a good chunk of pilots were hired here in their early to mid twenties, not unlike most jet regionals. Well, five years down the road and they're thirty, maybe married, have a house, and maybe a kid or two. These were the guys that I thought for sure would use RAH as a stepping stone. But your priorities change if any of the above aspects I mentioned enter your life. If you have decent seniority at a jet regional, it's a little bit harder to leave as every day passes. The airlines you mentioned above might not necessarily afford the quality of life that an RAH, Eagle, Comair, et al can give. That's maybe why you see attrition and thus upgrades at those companies.

Mopac said:
Not necessarily. In maybe the last six months or so people are starting to leave at say two to six a month. To indirectly reiterate what Learlove said above, a good chunk of pilots were hired here in their early to mid twenties, not unlike most jet regionals. Well, five years down the road and they're thirty, maybe married, have a house, and maybe a kid or two. These were the guys that I thought for sure would use RAH as a stepping stone. But your priorities change if any of the above aspects I mentioned enter your life. If you have decent seniority at a jet regional, it's a little bit harder to leave as every day passes. The airlines you mentioned above might not necessarily afford the quality of life that an RAH, Eagle, Comair, et al can give. That's maybe why you see attrition and thus upgrades at those companies.

thanks... i am one of those who is considering a career at a regional b/c of family priorities. And RAH is the one place i can see myself doing that....

subin30 said:
thanks... i am one of those who is considering a career at a regional b/c of family priorities. And RAH is the one place i can see myself doing that....
People and their little plans........Dont you get it RAH will suck in 5 years and Mesa will be the place to be by then. Why would you plan a career based on a regional whos flying is based on whatever mainline can negotiate. Get in, get in the left seat, get back out. Ya ya all aviation is risky but a regional pleeeeeeeeease.

ps. now this is not to condone currently working for mesa or wherever else you think you can get in that left seat the quickest. You gota have some pride in yourself.

Last edited:
AWACO said:
People and their little plans........Dont you get it RAH will suck in 5 years and Mesa will be the place to be by then. Why would you plan a career based on a regional whos flying is based on whatever mainline can negotiate. Get in, get in the left seat, get back out. Ya ya all aviation is risky but a regional pleeeeeeeeease.

ps. now this is not to condone currently working for mesa or wherever else you think you can get in that left seat the quickest. You gota have some pride in yourself.

I agree with your first statement. Get your time and get out. Almost all regionals have gone from nothing to growth to shrinkage. Ask XJ, AirWilly, ACA, XJET, ect. A regional is a stepping stone and whose destiny is at the mercy of big brother. A big roll of the dice no matter where you go.

Last edited:
RAH is Defiantly where i'd like to work. upgrade, then maybe hop over to a buddies of mine job on the corp. side of things. Fly 1st leg, go check out the local skanks at the gym, eat some food, check out more skanks there. get back to the FBO, take a 20 min nap, wake up, get a brief, file, go home...bang my wife, slapp around my kids......thats the life for me

I agree with Learlove and Mopac. It's easy to say get in, get PIC and get out for some people and if that works, great. It has worked for friends of mine here. But not all of us are in the same position. I was lucky enough to be hired before our rapid expansion and as a result, I'm high enough in seniority that if I was furloughed, it would basically mean the company has gone under. Not saying that can't happen but the odds of surviving a hiccup in the economy are going to be much better the higher up you are wherever that is, obviously.
Overall, I'm very content where I am for right now but that doesn't mean I'd like to be here forever. The next airline I fly for is hopefully the one with which I retire. For me, that has always been United. Of course it will be awhile until they start hiring but when they do, I plan on trying to get on with them. I'm not going to try to land a job anywhere other than my number one choice just to leave RAH because, at least in my situation, it just isn't worth it. If UAL doesn't call after years of trying, I will need to rethink my goals. I wish it were still as simple as it was when I was a kid. Get a job flying turboprops, pay your dues for a couple of years for low pay, then get on with mainline. Unfortunately with the introduction of the regional jets into the "commuter" ranks and the ability to live a comfortable lifestyle there has made the decision to move on much more difficult, rather than a no-brainer as in the past. A senior captain making in the neighborhood of six figures or more at a regional takes a much bigger gamble and a huge paycut to jump ship to a major to live life on reserve and start all over from the bottem now as opposed to the olden' days where it would be much less of a gamble and not nearly the financial hit.

Jpilot23 said:
RAH is Defiantly where i'd like to work. upgrade, then maybe hop over to a buddies of mine job on the corp. side of things. Fly 1st leg, go check out the local skanks at the gym, eat some food, check out more skanks there. get back to the FBO, take a 20 min nap, wake up, get a brief, file, go home...bang my wife, slapp around my kids......thats the life for me

Well you really have it all figured out don't you.

sleddriver77 said:
Wow! That's a little ambitious!! Since most of our FO's were recently shat from Purdue or the ComAir Academy, they're really not worth much more than they're paid, until they've got a year or so experience under their belts. I agree that the scale needs to be extended out timewise, and the rigs and such are a must.

$25 per hour to start and FOs making 60% captain pay is "a little ambitious"???

No, most of your current FOs are not from Purdue, but quite a few captains at RAH are alums. Regardless, that ship has long since sailed and I'm not going to get into an argument with you about "Purduebees".

I truly hope you were being sarcastic when saying your FOs aren't deserving of more pay, especially when flying 70 and now 86 seat aircraft as FOs for less than 50 seat FO pay.

Jpilot23 said:
Fly 1st leg, go check out the local skanks at the gym, eat some food, check out more skanks there. get back to the FBO, take a 20 min nap, wake up, get a brief, file, go home...bang my wife, slapp around my kids......thats the life for me

Then hop on Flightinfo and talk about it....

So what kind of local skanks does PIA produce? Tsk tsk, standards these days. ;)

Just joking with ya :beer:

Latest resources

Back