AWAC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
logolight said:
Pretty good airline. I was furloughed from Independence and hired on right after that. Because I was still current and qualified in the CRJ, they put me through the short course training which was only 3 1/2 weeks. Attrition is high because of the domicile changes. The new domiciles aren't very commutable So they need pilots bad. Right now they can't find enough pilots to fill their classes so they're lowering their mins. I've heard well below 1000TT.

One caution. The wash out rate has somewhat increased to about 30% because of the low time pilots being hired. I don't know if it's the inexperienced pilots or the training department causing it. So the company is hiring 2 classes of about 20 per month and expecting about 43 or 5 pilots to wash out of each class.

Good luck.

Read: Don't come here if you can't do the job.

S.

Anyone who's thinking of coming here had better like Norfolk because you'll probably be there for a while. PHL and DCA are senior bases; I've been around the 30's in IAD and just got reserve in DCA and that's after over 18 months with the company.

logolight said:
One caution. The wash out rate has somewhat increased to about 30% because of the low time pilots being hired. I don't know if it's the inexperienced pilots or the training department causing it. So the company is hiring 2 classes of about 20 per month and expecting about 43 or 5 pilots to wash out of each class.Good luck.
AWAC was really proud of their low washout rate. I'm surprised that it's gone to 30%. Does that 30% figure include pilots who voluntarily leave AWAC during training for other jobs? That's a little different than those who can't complete training.

Kenny said:
Anyone who's thinking of coming here had better like Norfolk because you'll probably be there for a while. PHL and DCA are senior bases; I've been around the 30's in IAD and just got reserve in DCA and that's after over 18 months with the company.

When did the results come out including DCA an ORF???

Kenny said:

When did the realignment come out? Hasn't been a PIF about it.

Times are certainly changing!

AWAC used to proud of a lot of things; 4 years ago you had to have been at another regional to have stood any chance of getting an interview. Not like now where we'll take guys with less than a 1000TT. The captains I fly with at the moment were at another regional for at least a year before spending around 3 years in the right seat here. They know their sh!t and are a pleasure to fly with. Unfortunately they're the pilots we're losing to Airtran, Jetblue and Southwest. It's great for them but we're losing that experience base at a time when we're lowering our minmums and taking guys who think it's a right to get a job flying a SJ.

The whole RAA PFT was a disaster and most of the pilot group was p!ssed off about the whole thing. It's done with now, so at least we don't have to contend with 300 hour FO's.

With the way the industry is right now, pride has less of a place than it used but I'm still proud to be an AWAC pilot. We're just going through a huge transition, moving from Yonited to Useless, so a certain amount of growing pains are inevitable.

Commuting to reserve should be the definition of hell in the dictionary. I did it at ACA and hated every minute. I was only on reserve here for a month but it was 5 on 2/3 off if I remember right. I'm pretty sure you'll be in ORF as a new hire right now and commuting there is probably going to be a 2-legger. Not good!

ORF is going to be an MX base so we're expecting early shows, late finishes, out and backs and day-trips. That means commuting is going to be an even bigger nightmare. On the plus side if you're single and don't mind moving ORF sounds like it'll turn into the AWAC singles club.

BTW the pif isn't out but log onto spikemail, go to bidding and it shows "future postion" at the top of the page.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that nobody has bad things to say about the company, just the new bases and schedules. If anyone cares to share, what is the reserve looking like for new hires? Is it comutable? What are the junior lines like after reserve? or what do you think the lines will be like after things settle down(4on,3off or something)? Thanks

Kenny said:
Commuting to reserve should be the definition of hell in the dictionary. I did it at ACA and hated every minute. I was only on reserve here for a month but it was 5 on 2/3 off if I remember right.

You hopefully this won't last more than a month or two for you. They have always had a history of going nuts with the reserve positions as they transition to new bases in the past (ATL & IAD). The same thing showed up with PHL, ORF, and DCA.

Also...if you are in IAD, even though your future position is DCA Reserve....you do not know when you will be going there. Effective dates are going to be spaced out over the period of 4-5 months for that particular base. With any luck you will find yourself as a IAD lineholder for a few more months.

Kenny said:
I'm pretty sure you'll be in ORF as a new hire right now and commuting there is probably going to be a 2-legger. Not good!

Any base is possible. Newhires are still getting PHL reserve....many of the F/O's I've talked to will do anything to stay off reserve so even though some of the top DCA reserve holders may be at 18 months sen the bottom may still consist of newhires. If you are looking to get off reserve anytime soon ORF is going to be your base.

You can adjust your bid so you are automatically transferred to the first base you can hold a line if that is your wish, and your "line holder" status cannot be taken away from you unless there is a displacement. "Reserve" and "Line Holder" are concidered two seperate positions.

Piker

Last edited:
I'm looking at AWAC for the PHL base, wondering how long the reserve callout is. I live 90 minutes away with no traffic. Is PHL a long time reserve base or are pilots holding lines there pretty quickly. Thanks..

Latest resources

Back