AWAC and USAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rottweiller said:
YES - Just looked at the performance figures for last month that the company puts out to us from UA. Last month we exceeded the performance goals in all 38 measured categories and in those 38 categories we were 1st in 34 and second in 4.

Those look like pretty good performance rankings for AWAC. Now....lets compare AWAC days off and second year pay and benefits and whatever other aspect of our pilot contract you want to (IP) with these other carriers.

Last edited:
WhiteCloud said:
Now....lets compare AWAC days off and second year pay and benefits and whatever other aspect of our pilot contract you want to (IP) with these other carriers.

Is this directed at ME?

I.P. Freley said:
Is this directed at ME?
Yup. While were tossing figures out it seems pretty relevant to see how good pilots have it at each of the competing companies. Is TSA, MESA, Shuttle A or Chautauqua a better deal?

Yes. Lets also compare the contract price per seat mile or flight that the mainline (US, UA) carriers pay the various regionals (Whisky, SHuttle America, CHQ, Mesa, Skywest etc). ANyone have these numbers?

There is a lot that goes into determing whether it is more cost effective to utilize Air Wisconsin vs CHQ or the others.

If performance was always the definitive factor, we'd all be driving in the best, most expensive cars. If I owned a BMW vs a Chevy, you bet **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ed right I'd expect the beamer to outperform the chevy in 34 of 38 aspects!!!! Doesnt mean that its MY best option though.

Im anything but an expert, but several of the stats seem so close its hard to establish any winner by a landslide. United or US have to determine if the margin of superior performance is worth the margin of the cost difference. Especially for airlines in or on the verge of bancruptcy, I would think that the COST of the contract is a HUGE part of the decision.

Anyone have approximate current contract costs for each carrier? I know the submitted bids are probably not known.

Relevance

Sad truth is I dont think United will give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** how well the regional partners' pilots are compensated. In this business, if it doesn't effect their bottom line, they're not going to give a rat's ass. I'd say its a safe bet that the pay and QOL is much better at AirWis but I don't know if thats going to be relevant to their codeshare partners.

How would I know how good the pilots have it at any of those companies, or which is "a better deal", unless I worked at all of them? You can read the threads relating to these kinds of points just as well as I can.

I don't recall mentioning anything about your pilot contract, so I'm not sure how it is this turned into everyone pulling out their weiners comparing days off and that kind of nonsense. I have no doubt that AWAC is one of the better companies to work for, but that's not what I was getting at.

I wonder if there are former Pan Am and Eastern pilots who look back in joy that they were once amongst the best paid airline pilots.

Yeah, its funny how this topic always reverts back to the "who has it best" pi$$ing contest. Gotta have something to fall back on I guess!

In either case, I for one hope that everything works out and that AirWis keeps their United flying, and receives the loan cash back from US due to a successful exit. Dreams can come true.

From the Q & A:

Does this agreement preclude other potential investors from outbidding Eastshore Aviation?
No. Other interested parties will have ample opportunity to participate in the US Airways restructuring as the process of the company's filing a Plan of Reorganization proceeds.

Anyone know of any other major players in the bidding process? I know that J.O. left for Washington D.C. on Friday... and had heard rumors a while back that Mesa was going to do something similar. At the same time I had heard that Mesa was trying to "minimize exposure" to US incase of liquidation. Any truth to this? And any other airlines/investment firms putting up competitive bids that anyone knows of? This is going to be just like the ATA ordeal I think... gonna come down to a buzzer shot?

N4niner206 said:
Sad truth is I dont think United will give a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** how well the regional partners' pilots are compensated. In this business, if it doesn't effect their bottom line, they're not going to give a rat's ass. I'd say its a safe bet that the pay and QOL is much better at AirWis but I don't know if thats going to be relevant to their codeshare partners.

Of course UAL doesn't give a crap about us and our QOL. I spent some time at one of the other code share companies and AWAC is totally different in the way pilots are treated. Unfortunately, treating employees respectfully, with regard to work rules and pay and benefits, costs money and that makes AWAC a target for low bidders.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back