AWA vs Frontier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Orionpilot

Looking for any opinions on AWA vs Frontier, I interviewed with both companies and now have two job offers. I plan on commuting from SEA at least for the next year so the commute to either PHX or DEN is nearly the same. AWA has been around for 20 years while Frontier has been around for 10. AWA has recently signed a new contract and the pay is higher. It looks like the time to captain would be shorter at Frontier than AWA (3 years for Frontier vs 5-7 years for AWA). AWA is nearly 3 times the size of Frontier, however, Frontier is supposed to grow substantially in the next three years.
Just looking for some honest feedback and opinions.
Thanks,
Orionpilot.

Congratz on your tough decision...

Can't really offer and good advice but, as a lifelong commuter, you might want to look into which airline is more commuter friendly. Can you drop and trade trips easy? As a junior line holder, does one offer better schedules than the other? Also, think about if you decided to move to base, would you rather live in DEN or PHX?

Orionpilot,

I would say you are in a pretty good spot to start with!! Two offers in these times is a dam fine spot to be in. I am a little bias since I work for AWA but F9 is not a bad deal at all. I know many people that I have worked with in the past that are now with F9 and love it!!! Before you ask a question like this from others, you should first make a laundry list of the things you would like and how your quality of life would be effected by going with one or the other. One should never base a decision soley on upgrade time. Your quality of life and peace of mind should be far more important!!!! Now having said that, you can't go wrong in either direction.

All the best to you in what ever decide.

WD.

Tough Choice Orionpilot...

Good luck on your decision.

I'd say if you are basing your choice on commuting then go with HP. Our next contract, due in '05, will have some improvements for commuters, but right now we aren't "commuter friendly."
Its hard to drop/add trips, and we have no defined commuter policy.

One of my buds just got hired at HP and has more flexability in his reserve schedule than we have as line holders! This will change soon, but I wouldn't make a decision on what could be. Only based on what IS.

I don't think you could go wrong with either so have fun!

orion pilot;

I would give Frontier the nod over AWA . A good friend whos been with AWA for over 4 yrs tells me the pilot force is pretty disgruntled and not very unified. Recent contract very disappointing in many regards (didn't think to ask about specifics)with constant Union turmoil and controversy (ie ;constant recalls of Status reps for petty issues that occured years ago ,questionable instructor slots and positions going to union officials ) and now a possible ALPA Decertification drive by a bunch of malcontents who think they can do better by forming there own in-house union.

He also told me that he wishes he had checked out PHX in the summer months before moving his wife and kids there. They all have a rough time with the high temps having lived most of their life along the coastal areas of South Carolina. Anyway hope this info helps and whatever one you choose, make dam* sure you have 20 years in the NAVY so you'll have some sort of a retirement income before making yoiur move because neither one has a defined- benifit retirement plan nor retirement health insurance.

Best wishes and Congrats....!

PHXFLYR:cool:

sounds like a scenario that I dreamed up about a month ago. I copied saved things to look at when trying to decide where to go from someone on this board. I cannot remember who posted it to give them credit and as soon as I find it again I will give credit. but here it is...

First year pay
Top pay
Time to upgrade
Time to get off reserve
Commute
Number of bases and potential expansion
Seniority of bases
Type of scheduling (hard lines, pref. bidding)
average numbers of days off
min guarantee and max. cap
reserve guarantee
overtime pay
ability to layover at home or live in base
Retirement
Health and insurance bennies
pass bennies
route structure (current and forecast)
value structure (ie. JB, SWA, AK all follow strong corporate values)
business acumen of leadership
profitability of airline
ability to execute business plan to remain profitable
Debt. vs. Equity ratio and future debt. payments
labor-management relationship
Leadership style (command and control vs. caring and listening)
culture
level of happiness of current pilots
level of teamwork amongst workgroups
time to next contract amendable date
will next contract be more or less than current
quality of training
quality of safety infrastructure
type of planes on property
number of planes on order
growth plans
stock ownership/options
stock purchase plans
potential for change of ownership
job security
union vs. non-union
other things you may think of

I couldn't believe this list, but it is most everything to think of!

good luck with whoever you choose!

I would go with AWA. Phx has great weather 8-9 months out of the year - and you have to put up with a dry heat in the summer (at least it's cool in the shade - nobody goes outside anyway during the hot summer). But hey, it's better than snow storms during the winter in Denver... Phx is pretty affordable - you can actually buy a home there unlike in LA.

You get to fly Airbus for both, but you also get the option of 757s at AWA. I agree that you have two good choices - I would choose AWA but whatever you do, make a selection and DON'T LOOK BACK... Good job!

I have a great idea...:D

Why don't you take the AWA job so that will leave the F9 spot open for me.

Lucky man, wish i had that decision to make.

Having flown for HP, I am predjudiced that way. A great bunch of guys, 3 different types of equipment as well as flying styles.

How is the financial stability of both?

The PHX hub is great! Wish I was back on 757 reserve there! The cost of a crash pad/apartment/mobile home is dirt cheap. Lots of places available and a great environment.

I'd trade HP for my frax job in a heartbeat.

Take care,
phx767

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back