• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AWA (USAirways) Pilot & Family Need Help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm sorry, most kids don't have a mother that can afford helicopter instruction, I most certainly broke out my check book to help get money to victims of Katrina, were there problems getting the money in the right hands, OF COURSE, there always is a problem, so is that a good reason not to give to the Red Cross, I think not.

The helicopter accident happened on her FIRST flight. She was trying it out to see if she liked it.

And if she did, then what, I would have to assume she had the money to follow through if she did like it, give me a break.

"Dudes, what a--holes, try and understand! We are pilots and should help out each other in time of needs"

not trying to be an a-hole. I understand and feel for this family. My post was asking a question which I backed up with and example from my exp.

I kinda' see where ya'll are coming from. This seems very different from being asked to help a new hire at XYZ airlines who has already been struggling to feed a family on regional pay. I think that maybe the general concensus is that the father has been at US for at least 16 or 17 years (they furloughed that far back, didn't they) and has had the opportunity to make quite a bit of change over that time, albeit having to give some of it back recently. But still ... an R22 is over $200 per hour. If you're spending that kind of money on 'fun' things (even though it ended tragically) I'd wager you've paid the insurance premiums and the college fund is all squared away.

So, I kinda' understand, and I don't think anyone is being hard-hearted, and all of us certainly feel for the daughter (I'm a parent, too). We're just thinking practically during tough times for everyone. If the guy was a second-year FO at Comair ... checks would likely be flying left and right. I've given, myself, when someone of way lesser means had problems that someone brought to the board. But an 18-year US Air pilot? I sincerely feel very, very sorry for him and for his family, but I don't think he needs any of my meager paycheck.

Last edited:
I understand what you all are saying. However, in my wildest dreams, I never imagined the thread taking this turn. Frankly, I hope that Mike is not a member of this board. I would be mortified to know that my post could be making an already bad situation a little bit worse.

For the record, the mother that died in the helicopter accident was divorced from the father. She was NOT making bank - she was a flight attendant. She was given the flight as a Christmas present. I cannot speak for what her goals were with taking an intro flight. Maybe she wanted to eventually get her license and improve her lot in life. Maybe she wanted to have something fun to do every once in a while. I do not know, and I will never know, because she is dead.

Last edited:
Snakum said:
I kinda' see where ya'll are coming from. This seems very different from being asked to help a new hire at XYZ airlines who has already been struggling to feed a family on regional pay. I think that maybe the general concensus is that the father has been at US for at least 16 or 17 years (they furloughed that far back, didn't they) and has had the opportunity to make quite a bit of change over that time, albeit having to give some of it back recently. But still ... an R22 is over $200 per hour. If you're spending that kind of money on 'fun' things (even though it ended tragically) I'd wager you've paid the insurance premiums and the college fund is all squared away.

So, I kinda' understand, and I don't think anyone is being hard-hearted, and all of us certainly feel for the daughter (I'm a parent, too). We're just thinking practically during tough times for everyone. If the guy was a second-year FO at Comair ... checks would likely be flying left and right. I've given, myself, when someone of way lesser means had problems that someone brought to the board. But an 18-year US Air pilot? I sincerely feel very, very sorry for him and for his family, but I don't think he needs any of my meager paycheck.

Plus, does the guy even WANT help? I wouldn't want handouts unless I were in a dire, living on-the-streets, situation. Most men like having some pride, and I suspect pilots even moreso than other professions. ResumeWriter is this something you're doing on your own, or did you actually talk to the guy, and he asked for and wants financial handouts??

Kingsize,

From what I understand this was set up by the FA union at the request of the members. I guess people at AWA never question giving to help another "family" member - maybe it is because they all have worked with both of these people.

Here is the public link to the AFA website: http://www.afa66.org/ where you can see the information.

Did Mike ask to have this account set up? Of course not. Does he absolutely need the help? I cannot answer that question, as I do not know what his insurance is paying for, etc. Would he be touched by the help from complete strangers? I am willing to bet he would.

Last edited:
A very heartfelt gesture from FA's at his company, but to throw it it on this forum is wrong in so many ways, just my opinion. Resume Writer, no ill feelings toward what you were trying to do for a colleague,

The only reason I put the post on here is because in the past the members of this board have helped fellow pilots. No other reason.

Latest resources

Back