Avweb "rebuild Riddle" fund

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SIG600

While this is a noble thing their doing... Riddle can kiss my arse. I gave that school enough money, and all they do is pi$$ on students while they are there. Then they wonder why alumni donation rates are something like 2%. This is what insurance is for... ERAU dosen't need any hand outs.

AVWEB FUND TO HELP REBUILD EMBRY-RIDDLE FLEET
AVweb has set up a "Rebuild the Fleet Fund" to help Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University's Daytona Beach, Fla. campus get back in the air following its devastation from two F2 tornadoes on Christmas day. University President John Johnson estimates that the Daytona Beach campus suffered between $50 million and $60 million in damage, $11 million of which is from the 40 airplanes that were destroyed and another 10 that were damaged.
To kick-start the "Rebuild the Fleet Fund," AVweb's parent company, Belvoir Media Group, is donating $1,000. AVweb subscribers will soon be able to donate online to the fund, but for now those wishing to help can send checks to:
The AVweb Rebuild The Fleet Fund
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Office of Development
600 S. Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
Attn.: Jamie Belongia More...

Yeah no kidding, like the extremely high tuition isn't paying for that! I would certainly thing that they would have insurance also.

I got the Avweb news flash and thought it was a joke. The school has insurance for situations like this.

I'm more than happy to donate for families who have lost in disasters like this, but not a multi billion dollar university.

I got the Avweb news flash and thought it was a joke. The school has insurance for situations like this.

I'm more than happy to donate for families who have lost in disasters like this, but not a multi billion dollar university.

No kidding. It'd be like setting up a fund for Bill Gates because his car got keyed. It's called insurance people! There's no doubt in my mind that they're fully covered and will replace the fleet with all new, all glass 172's. Don't worry, the future generations of pilots that don't know what a VOR is is safe.

Their insurance is excellent, and even one of the higher-ups at the DAB flightline said that there wouldn't even be a hike in rental rates. If they really needed the money, they'd raise the rates. Unbelievable.

Piper877 said:
Don't worry, the future generations of pilots that don't know what a VOR is is safe.

Hence why I don't want PRC to go glass. I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into that one...

Their insurance is excellent, and even one of the higher-ups at the DAB flightline said that there wouldn't even be a hike in rental rates. If they really needed the money, they'd raise the rates. Unbelievable.

Hence why I don't want PRC to go glass. I'm being dragged kicking and screaming into that one...

Yeah, I guess I should clarify that I am nonplussed with most of the low-timers fresh off their instrument/CFII checkrides that I have encountered regardless of where they trained. Tuning in a radial seems to be some mysterious event that goes beyond comprehension. Everyone's gotta have that color screen with the pink line showing them where to go. But then, I'm old and cynical. :cool:

Yeah, I guess I should clarify that I am nonplussed with most of the low-timers fresh off their instrument/CFII checkrides that I have encountered regardless of where they trained. Tuning in a radial seems to be some mysterious event that goes beyond comprehension. Everyone's gotta have that color screen with the pink line showing them where to go. But then, I'm old and cynical. :cool:

Welllllllll.... the MPCD in the Hornet plots the TACAN (or Vortac) on a map for you, then when you dial a radial it give you a graphic overhead depiction... I don't know that I'd do all that well these days trying to shoot a steam guage VOR or <GASP!> NDB approach.

When I was teaching at ERAU though... man giving guys the NDB at New Smyrna partial panel, with holding. God the twitch in their eye as soon as you started mouthing the words was enough entertainment alone.

When I was teaching at ERAU though... man giving guys the NDB at New Smyrna partial panel, with holding. God the twitch in their eye as soon as you started mouthing the words was enough entertainment alone.

You should see my guys when they get NDB stuff, PERIOD. B*tch, b*tch, b*tch, that's all they do. Most of my guys then whine about how they "just missed" not having to learn the ADF when we go glass, and then mutter about how I won't let them use the movable card. Really, how hard is it to superimpose a needle?

I think I'm one of those "young fogies" when it comes to instructing, though. :D I've done a solid portion of my training and flying in clapped out airplanes (and have seen the effects of over-reliance on instruments with my primary students), so this la-dee-da G1000 stuff just doesn't sit well. IMC with half the instrument lights inop and mysterious water dripping on your leg puts hair on your chest, anyway. :D

Last edited:
Why not just teach both the NDB and the glass? One needs the NDB knowledge to use an RMI anyways.

Why not just teach both the NDB and the glass? One needs the NDB knowledge to use an RMI anyways.

True, and I think my students will face the reality of them having to learn it anyway even after we go glass. :D

Actually, my main concern isn't the instrument students. It's the primary students who will have a giant PFD and ND in front of them at all times. Basic pitch attitudes and pilotage will go out the window in a hurry unless we can turn that stuff off.

What was this thread about, again?

Latest resources

Back