• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avoid at all cost

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hmm...this just isn't adding up. 30 miles from a TS, it was light out, but the sun was setting and he was blinded by lightning for 15 seconds?

Now, I know lightning has been documented to leap 40-50 miles from a cell, but it isn't that common.

I don't think there was any lightning at all. I think...in fact I bet you my salary...that he tried to roll the airplane (it was empty) and fell out of it.

Ugh i was going to go across the room to get the book but thank god avbug quoted me on it. I'm trying to dump the info after my final.

Diesel actually jet time hinders a person flying a small prop.

actually i fly a prop on the side. Trust me jet time doesn't hinder prop flying. any experience makes you a better pilot. Of course i'd like to see the entry and exit hole of the lightning strike.

so do you have a high altitude sign off with all that jet time?

dude you really should have not come on bashing your owner. Even your buddy shot you down about doing another trip. Obviously you were a well liked pilot in the hanger.

Too bad the owner has to take the hit for damage history if he tries to sell it someday. Hell, I'd go after you for that expense too, Numbnut!

What a shame to have invested all that time and money in this venture to simply give up on it. I was looking for a CFI to help with some unusal attitude recoveries.

I guarantee you that lightning that far from a storm has never happened in Florida. I've been flying here for 20 years and our t-storms are not like that. Those are the midwest-southwest monsters. Ours are VERY localized...
I'm betting on the "fell out of the roll" theory.

CUEBOAT said:
I once worked for a flight school that required a uniform.According to the owner the only reason he required a uniform was incase we wrecked a plane, atleast when the NSTB/FAA showed up it would look like at least somone in the plane might know what was going on. Heard it with my own ears.I won't lie I want to wear a UPS or a FedEx pilot uniform

I sure hope you wear a uniform in that Gulfstream. Wouldn't want to see a Gulfstream guy not knowing what he's doing.

Just curious where you got the LR, G and DA experience? NYC area or Fl?

I thought the recovery technique for inverted flight was to ROLL upright as opposed to pitching to the horizon.

Being struck by lightning, I'd expect some airframe damage. The A/C wasn't grounded pending an inspection? The wrinkling in the wings wasn't noticed on the post-flight walkaround or on the pre-flight before the next flight? You did do a preflight inspection, right?

Last edited:
viper548 said:
I thought the recovery technique for inverted flight was to ROLL upright as opposed to pitching to the horizon

No man. You can do whatever you want. Just blame any ill effects on something else.

Ill Mitch said:
I don't think there was any lightning at all. I think...in fact I bet you my salary...that he tried to roll the airplane (it was empty) and fell out of it.

I think we have a winner here... I was gonna suggest it myself, but you beat me to it.

For the record, lightning CAN jump 30 miles and more, but usually can make a jump that far only to ground, or an oppositely charged region of another storm. I can't think of any possible way it could jump that far to an aircraft, unless MAYBE it was sparking to another storm behind you, and you just happened to be right in the way. Pretty unlikely...

Latest resources

Back