Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

urflyingme?!

Man Among Men
What are your guys' favorite aviation history places to go?
These can be museums, airports, websites, anywhere with a good message.

My favorite would be the museum at Boeing field, and the Intrepid Aircraft Carrier in NY. I went to the Smithsonian but was too young to remember, although I do remember seeing the rockets my grandfather designed(had to include it!)

Any others?????

I like the Pima Air Museum in Tucson AZ. Huge collection and really nice people.

The one at Fox field (KWJF) by lancaster... it's free and you can design your own tour (just ask the tanker guys before you walk across their ramp to get there), ;)

VNugget said:
The one at Fox field (KWJF) by lancaster... it's free and you can design your own tour (just ask the tanker guys before you walk across their ramp to get there), ;)

Wait... there's one for the I never thread ;)

I never came across a KC-97 that was unlocked.

Joint Services Open House (JSOH) at Andrews AFB every May. Last year they had the -22 and the -35 on static. Incredible aircraft.

A couple years ago they had the Blues and the T-Birds lined up on the ramp side-by-side, but neither team flew as I recall because they didn't get their ceiling.

Udvar-Hazy out at IAD is pretty shweet.

The museum at Duxford (UK) is cool as well.... it's a few miles outside Cambridge.

Kitty Hawk's kinda neat for the history.

Anybody been out to Wright-Patterson?

I spent two years at school in D.C., and Gravelly Point (off the approach end of 19 at DCA) rocked. Surprised they didn't shut it down after 9/11. 752s are the biggest birds you'll see there, but it's one of the coolest places around in my opinion.

Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL. Nice collection of aircraft and some fun interactive displays.

Smithsonian to see actual historic and record breaking aircraft. Haven't made it to the Udvar-Hazy annex yet, but I'm sure that is good.

Planes of Fame West in Chino, CA is good.

The Musuem at Wright-Patterson is worth the trip.

Typhoonpilot

TrafficInSight said:
I like the Pima Air Museum in Tucson AZ. Huge collection and really nice people.

I was jumpseating up front in a 757 the other day after an overnight in Tucson and the Captain and FO scolded me (in a joking manner) for not going to the PIMA museum. They both said it was top notch.

I agree with TrafficInSight...

Pima Air Museum in Tucson is defintely worth your time. The volunteers that work there are typically ex-pilots from WWII and other conficts, and offer a wealth of knowledge and great stories to anyone who asks the right questions!

I also enjoyed the Wright-Patterson museum in Dayton - great set of aircraft and artifacts from all era's and the best part... it's all free!

One day though I'll pay pilgrimage to the Smithsonian!

typhoonpilot said:
Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, FL. Nice collection of aircraft and some fun interactive displays.

Smithsonian to see actual historic and record breaking aircraft. Haven't made it to the Udvar-Hazy annex yet, but I'm sure that is good.

Planes of Fame West in Chino, CA is good.

The Musuem at Wright-Patterson is worth the trip.

Typhoonpilot

Planes of Fame was awesome when I visited this summer. The gentleman that owns it put on a display in an aircraft who's name I can't recall, rotated in 200', slowflight at 25 kias( or something close to it). Very cool place and well worth the trip to the middle of nowhere. I don't know how it faired during the hurricanes but I hope they got the planes out of there...

Also, if you get the chance, a satellite operation of the Pima museum is the Titan Missile Museum... It is, I think, in Green Valley AZ. You will go inside an actual Titan II missile silo with a missile still in it.

My stepfather was a missile tech in the Air Force and spent many long weeks inside the silo. When you see it you'll be amazed that they spent so much time underground.

He used to say "I joined the Air Force to see the world and they put me 70 feet underground 30 miles from my hometown."

Latest resources

Back