• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AvGas in jet tanks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know of several Ag operators who put a little avgas into their jetA tanks to keep the algae growth down, and add some to the airplane tanks at the end of the season to keep things clean during the winter. .5-1% is the mix if I remember correctly. Maybe its just an old wives tale? We have never had any problems. As for running avgas in the Pt6, not a good idea but it can be done as detailed above. Don't see anything in my aircraft ops manual that states anything about adjusting the fuel control. This is only meant as an emergency type of deal. If there is no JetA available, probably no tools etc. to adjust the fuel control either. Hey you could always go to town and get some diesel, that runs pretty good, just smokes a little more than kerosene.

Anyone have any pics of airplanes "hydroplaning" or skiing on the water? Having a hard time convincing some people that this is possible. I have seen it done many times. Pretty cool. Of course I would never do something like that.

Big Duke Six said:
Not sure about "cleaning the system", but they can be run on avgas if the need arises. If I remember right, most engines require a logbook entry if they are run on a certain percentage (or higher) of avgas. It is not the best thing for a jet engine however, so there is a limit on how much avgas can be run.
That is true for some turbine aircraft and not true for others. There will be a section in the flight manual detail what fuels can be burned and with what limitations. It was permissable in some of the airplanes I've flown in the past, but with some restrictions. It's not permissible in the airplane we're flying now. Most jetfuels are blended with a biocide to keep the green things from growing in the tanks.

'Sled

bugchaser said:
Anyone have any pics of airplanes "hydroplaning" or skiing on the water? Having a hard time convincing some people that this is possible. I have seen it done many times. Pretty cool. Of course I would never do something like that.
Check out www.supercub.org There are a bunch of photos there.

'Sled

Plain jet fuel (Jet-A) does not contain any biocide. Fuels with added Prist (those with anti-ice inihibitor) does contain biocide, if I remember correctly. There is an additive called Biobor than can be added to jet fuel to keep any microorganisms at bay. We used it all the time and never had a bit of algae. Of course, if you fly your aircraft regularly, there shouldn't be any worries whatsoever.

Thanks for the pics guys. Your right, the best thing would probably be to add a commercial biocide to the storgage tanks.

Latest resources

Back