• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avg CFI pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In Savannah, the local school is charging $30 for singles and $40 for multi. and $35 for sim+instr.

I just hired some guys to help me move, 40 bucks an hour. I charge 25 bucks an hour for flight instruction-cash only. I am going to raise it to 30 bucks an hour starting this minute

I am still pathetic.

JediNein said:
Fortunately, the rainy season has passed. It's now mudslide and earthquake season, followed by the fire season.

Jedi Nein

Kind of makes me glad to live in Kansas where all we have to worry about is tornados! Of course it is a little colder than 70 degrees. Last week the local news had a story that it was colder here than Siberia. ;~)

Ain't aviatin great ?

When I instructed, the going rate was around 12 dollars/hour. But, I soon tired of paying my students so much money. So, I moved on to more lucrative compensation at the regionals. There, I qualified for public assistance, food stamps, and gubament cheese. Who says flying careers aren't rewarding ?

slowto250 said:
When I instructed, the going rate was around 12 dollars/hour. But, I soon tired of paying my students so much money. So, I moved on to more lucrative compensation at the regionals. There, I qualified for public assistance, food stamps, and gubament cheese. Who says flying careers aren't rewarding ?

The best post of the bunch!

What do you guys mean by "independent contractor"? Does that mean that you simply agree to show up, and pocket money dirrectly from the students? I pay my instructor $35/hour, and I always pay him dirrectly. I assume that he is simply pocketing this money, and the school never sees any of it?

Technically that is how it should be, Independent contractor means independent. When the owner starts taking away from that it starts to become an employee relationship. I wish I was getting paid directly...I would have made about 200 bucks today instead of 100 since the owner takes 50 percent of what I am billed for

At the 141 "Flight Training Academy" I used to toil at I started @ $14/hr back in 2001. I left in October of this year and was all the way up to $15/hr as a MEI/CFII :rolleyes: . They charged $35/38/40/hr for primary/instrument-comm/multi. I struck out on my own and now I charge a base rate of $40-50/hr for both flight and ground instruction. Any standby time such as the client running an errand at a destination I bill @ $25/hr minimum while I surf the net at a Starbucks. It's so much better being your own boss and picking who your clients are as opposed to being a bordello cfi watching the Madame making money off your back than you are.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back