• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avg CFI pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CFIs deserve about 30 to 50 per hour. (esp the ones that survived me!)
We love our free-market economy, but that is what an excess on the supply side does.

I work at a 141 Flight College and I make 16.50 per hour as an MEI. CFI's get 14.50 CFII gets 15.50 and MEI gets 16.50. School charges 26.00 and hour for flight instruction so they are keeping the other 9.50. Kinda getting humped but i am looking quality multi time. Gotta do what you gotta do to move on. Usually can bill about 150 hours a month, that billable hours including ground and flight. Usually fly 50 to 100 hours a month depending on weather.

I used to charge $50-$100/hr for ground and flight training in the BE-20. Don't ever let your CFI ticket expire.

I know that while I was instructing about 3 years ago, I was making $20/hr as an employee in the DC area.

I charge $30/hr for instructing.

Since the trend is FBO's telling you you're an IC (normally this is actually illegal the way it is done) you might want to consider filing unemployment with the state. If you arive at the airport and find the doors locked as an IC you will not be eligible for unemployment unless you filed it yourself. That plus WIA could be very helpful!

These folks are ICs and keep every penny:
http://www.wvfc.org/instructors.html

They also have to make a living in the bay area.... and thanks to the local prosperity there is plentiful business. At my home airport about 40nm from there, I pay $35-40/hr for CFI; not sure how much they keep!

GravityHater said:
CFIs deserve about 30 to 50 per hour. (esp the ones that survived me!)
We love our free-market economy, but that is what an excess on the supply side does.

This would take renting Dual/172 to $150/hr. CFI's don't deserve this kind of pay, until I am one:)

This is all pretty sad considering golf and tennis pros make $75/hr +

Even the no-neck at the gym telling me to "ummmmph, just one more rep" is making $40/hr.

Freekin weak...we disgust me...

Nu

I pay about 25$ an hour flat. The CFI gets all of it.

Of course there is an instructor on the field who charges 90$ an hour... and I can't figure out how he gets students because he's an ass.

He must really sell the sky-god image.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back