• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avg CFI pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the real question is are you employees or independent contractors. I would not work for an FBO as an IC for less than 20 an hour, unless i could live very cheap.

TrafficInSight said:
I pay about 25$ an hour flat. The CFI gets all of it.

Of course there is an instructor on the field who charges 90$ an hour... and I can't figure out how he gets students because he's an ass.

who would pay 90$/hr? Even if he was a great guy.

There is one flight instructor that I know that I would gladly hand over 90$ an hour to. and I would definitely be satisfied with the results. I'm considering doing my tailwheel with him. But he doesn't even charge 90$ an hour so... ;)

LOL...I know an CFI that's worth a 150/hr. I'm thinking I still would only give him 30/hr:)

I am familiar with WVFC. They run a pretty clean orginization. I pointed out to my boss how they run, and how successful they are at it. For those who are IC's how are you paid, individually by the instructor or do you bill the firm when you want payment

14.05 for private, 15 for inst (they charge 30 and 35 respectively). to top it off this month I've worked a whopping 1.4 that to the f!@#!@ing weather! Ground tends to be done on the side for 20......

The IRS has pretty stringent definition of who is an independant contractor. In most cases people are mistaken if they think they qualify from newsgroups I have browsed.

If you are told when, where and how to work you are an employee, see IRS publication 15-A.

The only time this may come up is if the employer is audited usually. They do it to avoid collecting the payroll taxes and making their contribution and things like paying benefits and Workers Comp premiums.
The last 'reason' is stupid. If you are hurt as an IC there is no insurance BUT you can sue the pants off the employer.

WTH?? Here in Arizona my CFI went from 35 to 55 per hour. Problem is he is the only one at my field. So I am going to another field now. Its not the cost as much as the principle. He rasied his rates after I bought my plane, must have thought I was rich and wanted to pay that much. Sorry, I dont and wont.

In the PHX area a contractor can easily charge 25-30 dollars an hour. It takes a little networking to get some students but I found it much more profitable than making less than 20 dollars an hour at flight schools. Alot of rated pilots I have given BFRs and currency training training to would rather pay a little more for someone with more experience than the CFis at most flight schools. Another benifit is taxes if you do them correctly.

TrafficInSight said:
Of course there is an instructor on the field who charges 90$ an hour... and I can't figure out how he gets students because he's an ass.

I've never figured out how the pompous ones keep students.

I gave myself a raise for Christmas, but with the weather, 20% of nothing is still nothing.

Californians are just now peering out of their bunkers to verify the weather has returned to the mid-70s. We got pretty scared when the local news reported a major traffic jam on the southbound 405 freeway in L.A. It seems pairs of animals were seen on the freeway headed to the shipyards in Long Beach. Another spot was an inland boat storage yard, it's still a marina. Finally, the airport authority had to change the beacon colors at one airport. It's now a seaport.

Fortunately, the rainy season has passed. It's now mudslide and earthquake season, followed by the fire season.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back