Avg CFI pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
money money

Before I quit flight instructing in december I was making 16 dollars an hour for ground and flight and anything I did on the side i made 20 bucks/hr. My buddy now just got a raise to 20/hr. Thats actually prett good pay where I was at and for a national average. However, freelancers and even some fbo cfi's in chicago easily can clear 30 to 40 an hour depending on their clientel. It all depends on what type of area you live on and how many people actually are wanting to learn how to fly in that area. Some cities have a much lower density of people wanting to train so pay may be less. I know full time cfi's at the occasional college flight program make a little over 20 grand a year. Hope that helps. :D

Last edited:
Thanx

I am a full time guy and I am getting robbed. 10 bucks on flight and 8 on ground i kind of keep my mouth shut b/c I do get about 15-20 hrs of flight time per week. The boss wants to give us a bump just trying to figure what is a good battle ground. I teach in south florida so should be getting more. Do you have any sites that have national avg info?

The main question to ask is independent contractor or employee. IC's make more but pay more in taxes for social sec and medicare. For Example a 20 an hour CFI would make around 14-15 an hour take home. I am an IC and made 23k last year from feb to dec before taxes.

$21/hr for private, and $22.50/hr for instrument and commercial. Same rate for flight or ground.

21 and 22 are good if your actually keeping all that. My FBO charged 30 and i got 16 out of it. I was lucky to clear 15K a year. Of course I had some flyin on the side. Citation SIC for part 91 made 100 a day which helped over the last year and a half. 10 and 8 an hour is HORRIFIC :mad: I heard that people at delta connection make that and were told that THAT is the the national average which is a complete joke!!! If your in south florida you should be makin a hell of alot more than that! upsetting!! :eek: Especially since the TSA wants you to be a security screener now and keep records and crap. I'm glad i got out before i had tostart doing that stuff. I think 16 is pretty good but it depends on where you live cause i was desperate some months as my flying depended on college students that failed out of the program mainly. And college goes on breaks and my account would be broke too. Luckily i was only paying 242 a month for rent on a trailer. But most times i enjoyed flight instructing as long as the student was good. Just gotta find the right place to work.

nice :cool: hard to find someone to work for who won't take advantage of you in this industry.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back