In the bahamas????

theres a shocker!

Gulfstream 200 said:
lazy a$$ obnoxious locals?????

In the bahamas????

theres a shocker!

Hard to believe, isn't it!;) :p

JB74 said:
I am not familiar with fbo line service etiquette so forgive me if this is out of line, but aren't line guys paid accordingly? I can see if they were paid like a server in a restaurant @ $2/hr, but not $10/hr.

No, most companies that I'm aware of don't pay $2/hr. Minimum wage, probably, for newbies....maybe a tad more. However, it would be my guess (and just a guess) that the large chain FBO's (ie. Million Air, Signature, etc.) pay a decent hourly wage. I do believe Signature's employees are union (forgive me if I'm misinformed there). Some FBOs are run by their respective city and the employees fall under the city's employee contract and probably do better than most. They would more than likely fall under union rule if the city employees have one.

Regardless, excellent service deserves a tip.

Speaking of tips, also don't forget the CSRs when they do a good job (and not just because their good looking and you're on an RON fella's!). If I have a last minute schedule change and they make hotel/transportation arrangements for me, I'll give them a tip as well.

2000Flyer

From what I understand, Signature is mostly non-union labor. Just recently, Signature closed DTW, and I believe ALB and one other location, and reopened them as ASIG. I know DTW was union, I don't know about the other two, but ASIG is non-union, purchased by BBA several years ago. It appears that Signature may have found a way to bust the union and not lose the FBO.........just rename it. I'm sure the service still sucks, it's just lower paid labor.

Last edited:
JB74 said:
I am not familiar with fbo line service etiquette so forgive me if this is out of line, but aren't line guys paid accordingly? I can see if they were paid like a server in a restaurant @ $2/hr, but not $10/hr.

You have to think about what's important in life. If you rarely use a company or service, it's not like you're concerned about your image. I've stiffed cabbies when they haven't done anything to earn a little extra. (Come on, like getting a $90 fare ain't enough?)

However, if you frequent an FBO, you better learn to tip a little. Why? I've seen some infrequent transients who tip really well and regulars who don't. If the line guy *knows* you won't tip, what's his incentive to take care of you first?

What's important to you or to your boss/pax? To me, catering and fuel come with the deal and I won't tip (or expect one) for the mere service. When you're on a quick turn and want to be taken care of ASAP, aren't you happy when the GPU and fuel truck are waiting plane side, and your service items are delievered before the fueling is completed? How about the line guy who does things to save *you* time? Like make you wait less than five minutes for a shuttle ride, don't make you wait for a fuel truck when you want to fuel and go to the hotel, or one who makes sure the engine covers are on/off and the pins in/out before you arrive/depart the a/c, especially in below freezing weather?

Despite the fact that line guys are paid a wage that does not figure in tips, service that makes me want to come back is also probably worth tipping for. To me, that's the bottom line -- when somebody does something that stands out, let him know you appreciate it.

JB74 and big Ti$s

JB74: I just love your thumbnail......

Being a Brit, tipping is a horror story. I have read these posts and now realise that I am a mean son of a bitch......

In Africa several years ago, pulled up for fuel, and paid with the carnet.....6 refuellers demanded a tip....I said" we are not Americans", they said sorry, and "settled" for 10$......

I am certain when you guys visit us you must have even more horror stories....pray tell all....

wndshr said:
how much do you normally tip line service...for large size bizjets...GV Falcon 900EX etc.
B]

It varies, except for a guy in Egypt who "services" our lav crouched under the fuselage holding a plastic garbage bag to recieve the contents. He gets the equivalent of a half-month's salary every time I gotta ask him to do it!

Not sure what todays wages are but 10 years ago, Million Air was $6/hr in a major metro area.

The only time I was pissed about no tip was when I went above and beyond. If line service uses the company van to transport you (rather than a cab) you should at least tip half what the cab would cost.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back