average tips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wndshr

how much do you normally tip line service...for large size bizjets...GV Falcon 900EX etc.

heard of a guy going off on some pilots at TEB about not tipping enough or at all...
Thanks

wndshr said:
how much do you normally tip line service...for large size bizjets...GV Falcon 900EX etc.

heard of a guy going off on some pilots at TEB about not tipping enough or at all...
Thanks

It all depends on what they do and also how many bags we have. If I have two pax with a suitcase each and the lineman help with the covers, $5 usually covers it. If I have a plane load, luggage up the yahoo, then I'll go up to $20. However, if I have five line guys helping out (typical at TEB during slow periods), if (and thats a BIG if) they split it, now you're down to $4 ea, however, $20 is as high as I'd go. The guys that do the lav service I'll give $10. But I make sure I give it to them directly. Not saying line folks don't share, but after doing line service for 6 years, I know some will pocket and claim no tip was given.

2000Flyer

PS - A lineman goes off on me for not getting a tip, he can figure two things: 1) His service was crappy in the first place and; 2) he'll never see a tip from me in the future.

Last edited:
I have thought about this subject in the past.
I fly Lear Jet aircraft for a charter operator, if I gave the line guy a tip it would not be refundable by the company and I do not earn enough to tip every line guy, van driver, etc that I come in contact with on a daily flying day. I would go broke. Many passengers will tip the line guys.
Hey we as pilots dont get tips ( well rarely) we are just the limo drivers of the sky. I sometimes see the limo driver bringing passenger to the plane get tipped, the line guy get tipped, the girl behind the counter...well you get the point. but nothing for the guys who were up at 3 am to deice the plane fly through a nasty cold front and then shoot an approach to minimums to get the passenger to his meeting on time.

5 for bags
10 for lav
20 for handler - a few more if they do something special.
10 - 20 for good driver (depends how far)

and if newer to Intl' - dont ASSUME these folks are real happy to get 2$ because "thats a lot of money here"...you are wrong and you look like an ametuer.

if exceptionally poor - no tip sorry and we dont use the service or handler again.

if I pull my own chocks, show my pax the way, etc...dont bother coming over looking for a tip...

My favorite type??? the pilot who stiffs everyone then submits 40$ in tips to make a few extra bucks. You are a scumbag.

Gulfstream 200 said:
My favorite type??? the pilot who stiffs everyone then submits 40$ in tips to make a few extra bucks. You are a scumbag.
Amen!! I worked for a company where that was standard practice. And that was from senior captains who were making 5 times what the line guys were making. It was no wonder our home base line guys wouldn't do anything for our flight department. They were shocked when I started giving them tips. They would do anything for me.

I follow the same guidelines as Gulf 200 laid out with the exception of $5-10 for the driver (again, depending on how far).

Regarding line guys complaining about not getting tips, again I agree with Gulf 200, they won't ever receive a tip from me. Tips are not mandatory or to be expected. They are an expression of thankfulness for a good job.

As a line guy, I always treated every customer the same. This business is all about contacts and several of my jobs were a result of the way I treated the pilots when I was a line guy. Unfortunately, many people forget where they came from.

Remember, the toes you step on during your climb to the top are often connected to the butt you're kissing on the way back down!

I fly Lear Jet aircraft for a charter operator, if I gave the line guy a tip it would not be refundable by the company and I do not earn enough to tip every line guy, van driver, etc that I come in contact with on a daily flying day. I would go broke.

What is the deal with cheap SOB's who run charter services!!! Doesn't your D/O see the value in wanting his airplanes to be recognized on the ramp? That is, be recognized in a good way. I always encourage everyone to tip for good service, especially at a city you fequent. It certainly makes a difference.

I should know, I used to work line service. Nothing gave me more satisfaction than to send a cheap SOB to back forty and watch him walk in the rain!!!

Good luck ... that G-IV job will come soon.

tips?

I wonder if that's Atlantic Aviation... lol... **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** union rampers, takes forever to get a plane staged... and they expect tips?? LOL

What is the deal with cheap SOB's who run charter services!!! Doesn't your D/O see the value in wanting his airplanes to be recognized on the ramp?

NO... don't you know?? There aren't that many reputable, responsible, generous, ideal and beloved charter companies out there. They all start out fairly generous, with the attempt to create a work environment that can be envied by other charter companies.. but once they experience growth, they've forgotten the basics of running one.. Instead, they run their pilots and their workers down to the nickel... If anyone can name an excellent charter company to work for, let me know.. Besides, the $$ isn't in chartering, it's in brokering and aircraft management.. :)

Just remember what TIPS stands for (To Insure Proper Service). I used to be that line guy and I know what it is like to work your ass off and get stiffed, but I also knew that a tip was not mandatory.:( . So Now when I fly the line, I make sure that i take care of everbody that earned it. I fortunately work for a company that gives the crew petty cash for tips and such. I hate the line guys that don't give a sh*t but expect you to fork over something for them.

Speaking of tips, my favorite was a little FBO in the Bahamas. Lineman flagged us to parking....right in front of the main building. I opened the door and there were six people waiting to help out. I only had two passengers with minimal luggage, so there wasn't much extra, but everyone managed to get their hands on something.

Next thing I know, our handler shows up and tells us we can't park there and there was no tug to move us...we'd have to restart to reposition. I told him he needs to inform the lineman of this to which he replied: "that guy isn't a lineman, nor do all those people who helped with luggage work for the airport. They're just locals hanging around trying to get tips!"

Lesson learned.

2000Flyer

I am not familiar with fbo line service etiquette so forgive me if this is out of line, but aren't line guys paid accordingly? I can see if they were paid like a server in a restaurant @ $2/hr, but not $10/hr.

Latest resources

Back