• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Average time for first solo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd have to agree with the comments about comparing solo/checkride times not being the same thing.

In the end, it doesn't say "Private Pilot Airplane Single-Engine Land at __ Hours"...just the first part.

It's all the same ticket.

IMHO

-mini

While we're on the subject of solo's here's another question for all you CFI's out there.

Does the customary three touch n goes that the student does on his first solo - are those required to be a controlled airfield? I was never told this, but after reading a Private Pilot Checkride Checklist that my flight school had given me, it specifically said on there that it had to be at a controlled tower.

Is this true or not??

User997 said:
While we're on the subject of solo's here's another question for all you CFI's out there.

Does the customary three touch n goes that the student does on his first solo - are those required to be a controlled airfield? I was never told this, but after reading a Private Pilot Checkride Checklist that my flight school had given me, it specifically said on there that it had to be at a controlled tower.

Is this true or not??

interesting...I'm at a controlled field, so I guess it is anyway for me/my students, but I'm not real sure...get back to ya though.

-mini

User997 said:

Is this true or not??

No, at least not in the FAR's. If your school requires it and operates under part 141, maybe. At the school I worked at (based at a very busy class D airport) it was instructor's discression. We could solo the students there or at a nearby less busy class D or at one of the nearby uncontrolled fields. The only catch was if we didn't solo at the home airport we had to come up with our own airport specific written test questions about the airport we soloed (we had school developed standard tests but only for the home airport)

Where I taught, our syllabus was pretty much jacked from ERAU so we had a very specific lesson plan for each flight and a "stage check" pre-solo with one of the designated "stage check pilots". So, the student needed to be able to demonstrate intimate knowledge of the (obscenely busy class D) airport area's published departure/arrival scenarios, the whole stall/slow flight regime plus the whole engine failure scenario, minimum three landings, and an oral pre/debrief. There was no kidding around at that place, I assure you.

Before being allowed to leave the pattern to head over to another airport, they needed to demonstrate their ability to leave the Class D, transition the local Class C, and get over to the closest uncontrolled field for pattern work there.

I dare say that our training might have overprepared people, but considering how easy it was to get violated for airspace busts in the area and how good the finished product was, generally speaking, it was worth it to go the extra mile. When students from other schools on the field came to us for rental checkouts, it was not a given that they'd be checked out on their first try... Our school simply produced better pilots.

Wow, I didn't imagine I would get this amount of feedback on this topic. Thanks for everyone's contribution.

I forgot to mention that I train (and work) at a very busy Class D airport (APF), and that I only get a chance to fly once a week (believe me, if I could do it everyday, I would).

Anyway, your comments have boosted my confidence enough to make me feel like I am progressing at a normal rate, which is what I really wanted to hear. Thanks again.

:)

Mr. Irrelevant said:
Of course. I'm sure most CFI's could get someone solo'd in about 5 hours if landings were about 4 hours of the training.

Mr. I.

i remember my handbook saying something about learning all the fundemental flight manouvers before initial solo

Kream926 said:
i remember my handbook saying something about learning all the fundemental flight manouvers before initial solo
Yeap, bust out your FAR and turn to 61.87(d). You'll find a nice extensive lists of 15 items that need to be satisfied prior to a student soloing. You honestly tell me a CFI can abide by these legitimately and still solo a student in 5 hours!

And to Folding_Expert, glad we could help you out and make you feel better about where your at. Just always remember, don't sweat it, it all comes in due time. This rating will drive you crazy if you try to do it "by numbers". The only numbers that are important are those in 61.109 (Private Pilot - Aeronautical Experience).

No kidding there are 15 required maneuvers and procedures and a certain level should be attained. What I was saying was that a motivated student, without adhering to the regs would be easy to solo in 5 hours. Just stay in the pattern for most of the training. Did you read this whole thread and my earlier comments? Probably not.

As far as not charging for ground instruction, I totally disagree.

Granted, there is some give and take, such as when a student pays for lunch or dinner during our cross-country stop and we discuss the flight during the meal, I will not charge. Yet if I have spent an hour on a pre-flight of the aircraft three times in a row and the student just does not put any effort into it, I will charge. If I explain, from the beginning, how to add oil, or add air to the tires, I will charge.

I always charge for ground, much of it is at my discretion and in the long run the student ALWAYS makes out. How many times have we, as CFIs, offered up our advise, experience, weather interpretations, airspace questions, when not "on the clock" with a specific student?

I fly for the pure love of flying, and will go out of my way to assist a student who is committed, dedicated, interested in learning and respects my interest in his/her success.

Enough of my rant...

On the other hand, you could be a real stand up girl and not charge for ground. Maybe your landlord will be a real stand up guy/girl and not charge for rent this month?:rolleyes: I always charged for ground. Think about it, rainy day, you drive to the airport, spend five hours doing ground and don't get paid? I don't think so.

Good post Fly_Chick.

Mr. I.

Latest resources

Back