Average time for first solo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User997 said:
Try going to Pan Am! Most students I started out with averaged 100-110 hour when they got their PPL!
Is it just me or does anyone else have to question the competency of instructors and schools whose students require 30+ hours to solo and 100+ hours to pass a PPL checkride? What's wrong with this picture?

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
Is it just me or does anyone else have to question the competency of instructors and schools whose students require 30+ hours to solo and 100+ hours to pass a PPL checkride? What's wrong with this picture?

This one I would have to disagree with. When I taught for a University I would solo students in 10-15 hours. Now that I'm part 61 I tend to solo them at about 20, although I've seen more than one out here with 50 hours or more and no solo. It isn't necessarily the school. It's the location and the student that make the difference. For instance at the University airport there was more than one runway which greatly diminished the crosswinds. Here there is one runway, it almost never faces the wind, and it is surrounded by gravel pits and lagoons which tend to create some really fun air patterns. This doesn't help a studeny who is looking to perfect his or her landings.

The other factor then is the student. From my experience those who are going to be professional pilots tend to solo a lot quicker just because of motivation and the fact that they often fly far more often than a hobbyist pilot. Also, hobbyist pilots often have a lot more to think about than their flight training and therefore wind up taking things a lot slower. I have one student who is a doctor and usually takes the first 1/2 hour of any flight just trying to concentrate on the plane and not his patients.

Of course there is also the occasional odd ball as well. I knew a kid in college who had well over 100 hours when he first soloed. He was such an a$$ that no one would fly with him.

In the end I think each situation needs to to be taken for what it is and although there are a lot of pilots around here who probably soloed pretty quick, for many students the circumstances are not going to allow for that kind of progress.

Midlifeflyer hit it right on the head with his answer. As an instructor, I always hated having a student ask me to compare their progress to someone else's. You really can't make a comparison since people learn at different rates and each persons circumstances are different (goals, training rate, airspace...). Instead I would tell them where we were at and what needed to be done before solo and was honest. In the end, it doesn't make a difference how long it takes you to solo, all that matters is you soloed when you were ready and you are a competent pilot when you receive that certificate.

I did have one student on his first solo have to go around after an airplane took position on a runway and held (non-towered airport) and took-off in front of my student as he was initiating his go-around. Great decision on my students part, very questionable on the other pilots part. It made me very happy that as part of the pre-solo flight I do with students, we always cover a go-around. I almost went over and said something to the other pilot while he was fueling after my student returned, however I felt it was better to celebrate the back-to-back solos of two of my students who knew each other on the same day. Definately a favorite moment in my instructing experience.

Looking back, I soloed at 19.6 hours, which frankly doesn't mean anything other than that was the most memorable day in my flying career so far. It is a day you will never forget!

refused to charge me for any ground.

That instructor needs to get smacked with the "why the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** am I working for free" stick.

Someone should tell him that Walmart would let him work for free in a heartbeat and it would be a lot less stressful.

Last edited:
Ralgha said:
That instructor needs to get smacked with the "why the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** am I working for free" stick.

Someone should tell him that Walmart would let him work for free in a heartbeat and it would be a lot less stressful.

Agree, I only did free instruction for good frinds or other CFIs (Had to like them though)

Ralgha said:

He was the victim of an unscrupulous instructor during HIS training that charged him ground for every little conversation that they had.

In fact, he told me a story about how he was standing at a urinal and his instructor came in the BR, walked up the the next urinal and started to do his business...then he started to talk about flying.

My instructor cut him off and told him to stop talking because he couldn't "afford" to have the conversation.

That's the story I'd always hear when I asked him why he didn't charge me for ground.

Anyhow, I was usually able to change the numbers at the dispatch desk to pay him for his time...but I had to do it outside of his presence, otherwise he would object.

I'll bet that REALLY pisses you off, huh? :)

Last edited:
Pisses me off that you changed the numbers or that he's an idiot? I applaud you for being honest and fair. Him on the other hand...

He somehow thinks that providing instruction for free will change the fact that he was overcharged in the past? It's in the past, get over it. He needs to realize that starving to death while instructing for free isn't going to change a thing about his previous instructor and he is only hurting himself and all other quality CFIs that try to earn a decent living.

Not to say you can never give free instruction, I gave my CFI friends free instruction, and in return they gave me free instruction when I needed it. So in the end, I didn't lose anything since had we charged each other we would have just traded the same money back and forth.

Last edited:
I've flown with 2 CFI's, both retired airline types. There were times when I was not charged for ground, or all my ground. Guess that's the way aviation used to be. Then again I always did bring the beer.

Last edited:
For whatever it is worth I soloed in 14 hours, due partly to flying spaced to far apart because of lack of money. I received my PPL at 30 hours the time required back then.

But maybe with tailwheel airplanes and we just had it to easy in those days.:D

Anyhow I guess it worked out O.K. because after fifty two years I'm still at it and have yet to have an accident in an aircraft.

For comparison regarding cost, solo was $8.00 per hour and dual was $10.00 per hour. And I made 35 dollars a week driving truck.

Qm3 > Ax2

qmaster3,

You did it the same way I did. I think my training was about as good as possible. I am so thankful for it. My former CFI was a P-3 PPC and now is a captain for LUV. At the time, we were both starving university students. He was a midshipman NROTC NESEP. He needed the flight time and I needed the COML ASEL/AMEL/I. Man those were fun times now so long ago.

:)P-3C IFT Tweek

PS. Of course, the beer and dinners/lunches were on me. Cheese enchiladas, with Coors and hot salsa shooters. I remember the old C-206 at NUQ with the 12 volt system and 2 blade prop for $26/hr wet! Those were great days bro! Soloed in 1973 with 9.3 hours in a PA28-140B. PP ASEL with 42.1 hours under the `old' FAR 61.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back