• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Average time for first solo?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After reading this thread, I was motivated to go pull out my Daddy's log book, and see when he soloed. :)

It was the summer of 69...June 1st to be exact, in an Aircoupe, at Stapleford Tawney (which is in Essex, England). He'd completed .25 of dual that day with his instructor, a guy named Dudley, and then had .10 all by himself. Total time at that point was 12.18 hours.

He passed his checkride on July 26th 1969 with 39.59 hours. His checkride was .48 long, and 3 hours after he'd passed his checkride, he took himself on an hour long flight :)

My Daddy was 27.

Here's where I'm at in training....... 14 hr solo, currently at 35 hrs. Got to do the long XC then polish up on manuvers and take the checkride. Hope to finish 45-50. Between WX, MX, job commitments, time, money etc. I've flown on average about 1 time a week. I've stretched it quite a bit, but I'm in no hurry really.
Oh yeah, I still get nervous doing pre-flight. I feel I still pretty much suck at flying, but keep practicing and working on it! Hopefully one day it will all feel natural........

User997 said:
Yeap, bust out your FAR and turn to 61.87(d). You'll find a nice extensive lists of 15 items that need to be satisfied prior to a student soloing. You honestly tell me a CFI can abide by these legitimately and still solo a student in 5 hours!

I have been able to solo students only twice when they only had 5 or 6 hours. The way I was able to do this was the fact that they are Glider instructors at the Air Force Academy. So they already had a lot of the concepts and basics down. So I would have to agree that it would be somewhat impossible to satisfy the FAR requirements to solo in that little of time now days with a student that came in off the street with little or no knowledge, I don’t care how fast they can learn.

Gen. Norman Schwartzcoff

Latest resources

Back