Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

average airline pilot pay has declined 42% since the airline industry was deregulated

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You must really think this is a great story because you have posted it multiple times. I find it odd that you like to bag on your father-in-law behind his back. Not really cool. Just because someone works for govt does not mean they desire govt intrusion into too many facets of the economy. Also, a pension is not a handout. It is earned for longevity in a historically lower paid career field and part of the pay package. The taxpayer actually saves money by keeping highly trained and experienced people in certain govt jobs.

To show the complete fail of your post again, here is an example: I work for xx airline. They pay me well and I have an A plan waiting for me when I retire. I also get many days off per year. Now pay attention here....do I want them having full access to my financial records? Do I want them them monitoring my internet activity? Say the airline starts dictating my diet because they don't want health care costs affecting the bottom line too much? How about the airline banning all drinking of alcoholic beverages when I am off duty? Say they impose a curfew on me to ensure I get good sleep at night.

You see, just because someone works for the govt does not mean they like a gigantic govt in too many parts of their life.

I think we would be better off if govt were smaller but there are many places in life they are needed. But hey, at least we have an Asian Carp Czar now!

Politics is a competition for resources right? All he is saying is it is contradictory for someone to be fiscally conservative (lower taxes, lower budgets, free markets), yet literally pay for every item they've ever had IN THEIR LIVES from earnings taken from taxing everybody else.

Being socially conservative (government intervention in non fiscal arenas) is another debate.

There are studies that show real prices (adjusted for inflation) for airline tickets have fallen 39 percent on average since the deregulation act of 78. Odd how it matches almost EXACTLY the reduction in pilot earnings according to this study.

As a pilot, I think I would love some government intervention and protection from the downward forces of free market capitalism. As a consumer, not so much. Kind of like some people's apathy for Auto Unions. Over paid lazy button pushers? Possibly, depending on your perspective. But the more higher paying middle class jobs that exist, the more airline tickets will be bought etc.. Standing up for and supporting laborers everywhere AND labor based politicians is in the interest of pilots, yet ironically we are an overwhelmingly conservative group.

Last edited:
Politics is a competition for resources right? All he is saying is it is contradictory for someone to be fiscally conservative (lower taxes, lower budgets, free markets), yet literally pay for every item they've ever had IN THEIR LIVES from earnings taken from taxing everybody else.

But there is no contradiction. You make Cynic's father-in-law sound like a freeloader when the reality is he actually contributed to society with his skill set. He did not get any handouts. Society needed the services he provided and compensated him. Fiscally conservative does not mean one is an anarchist. Govt is needed in many places...fire, police, roads, safety and so on and so on. But how much govt do we really want/need? Many people have the perception (some very misguided and some not) that govt is becoming bloated and overly intrusive in our lives.

Do we need such a powerful and enormous federal govt or should states determine their destiny a little more? Do we need the federal govt involved in education except for establishing minimum standards? Do we need such an enormous military? Do we need over 20 intelligence agencies; dozens of law enforcement agencies and more regulations than anyone could even fathom? Do we need a completely broken tax code? Basically, it is my opinion we are slowly becoming a nanny state and I don't think we can afford it in the long run. Because I am a reservist, does it make me a hypocrite for saying this? I think this is what Cynic's father-in-law is trying to tell him. But, Cynic cannot seem to understand exactly what his father-in-law is telling him.

What do you guys pay for blue jeans these days? I seem to pay about what I did twenty years ago. It's all relative.

Throw me a line if you make it out! I got suckered in!

Cmon man, don't chicken out just because someone starts name calling! I'm a Reservist flying the Globemaster too, doesn't it smack you as a LITTLE weird to sit in our 200 million dollar machine, on OIF/OEF orders, getting fat per diem checks and tax free pay, and flying empty half the time, AND THEN complain about a bloated Federal Government?????

Of course I am all for the compensation Uncle Sam is throwing my way, we deserve it, and so does cynic's dad I'm guessing. Augmented days, jumping time zones and the booze are killing me. But I'm not going to take it, and then rant against the size of the government elsewhere and parade around like I'm some kind of citizen for fiscal responsibility, demanding tax breaks and smaller government, and/or supporting those who do.

Who are you and what have you done with the REAL KHARMAPOLICE??

The look was probably a reaction to how retarded your comment was. The unions and management destroyed GM. You would be hard pressed to find anyone outside of management that thinks airline pilots are button pushing monkeys.

I'm a button pushing monkey....

Cmon man, don't chicken out just because someone starts name calling! I'm a Reservist flying the Globemaster too, doesn't it smack you as a LITTLE weird to sit in our 200 million dollar machine, on OIF/OEF orders, getting fat per diem checks and tax free pay, and flying empty half the time, AND THEN complain about a bloated Federal Government?????

Who got called a name? Arguing on FI....well you know how the Special Olympics analogy goes. The point is you never get anywhere so why even enter the debate. But to answer you question, no. It does not seem a little weird to do any of the things you listed. Guys like you are an interesting bunch. You feel that those who serve in govt do not have any right to criticize the govt or politicians because somehow we are all on the take or getting some kind of handout. Maybe you should re-read my post.

Of course I am all for the compensation Uncle Sam is throwing my way, we deserve it, and so does cynic's dad I'm guessing. Augmented days, jumping time zones and the booze are killing me. But I'm not going to take it, and then rant against the size of the government elsewhere and parade around like I'm some kind of citizen for fiscal responsibility, demanding tax breaks and smaller government, and/or supporting those who do.

Why not? You are trying real hard to draw a hypocricy line here but its not working. There is no hypocricy in serving your country honorably and at the same time trying to improve it. Something you need to learn in life is there are several ways to skin a cat and people have different ideas on how to do it. Obviously we differ. From your posts, I see your solution as doing absolutely nothing. So, with that position, why even enter the debate?

Latest resources

Back