• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hawker rider said:
hey!

I became captain in a lear with 1200 TT.....[/i]

Really . . . and what were the special circumstances that led to that? Obviously, it was part 91 flying . . . . and, uh, no offense, but I wouldn't have rode in the back of that plane.

I had 2100TT when I got my first jet type, and that was pretty low time.

Last edited:
You flying again, Timebuilder?

Unfortunately, that was a reference to when I was hired, back in the Spring of '02.

I'm hoping to buy my own airplane in five years, less if I can be in the right place at the right time.

special circumstances?

I don't think so, mind you as a co-pilot I hadrly got paid anything, not enough to cover my bills, but the owner gave me a roof over my head and paid all meals and hotels (every other weekend paid for the bar tab too...)

Worked my butt off flying cargo, pax and air ambulance. As soon as I hit 135 IFR mins he sent me to CAE to get my typerating.

Don't you think that once you get through 135 training and get a good school for a typerating it's enough. Why would it be UNsafe in my jet??

never flunked a checkride in my life (so far) and you not knowing me... why would you make a statement like that about my flying? I thought that's what the FAR's were also for, to describe a minimum experience requirement for pilots.

For the same reason, there seem to be a lot of people that think that you can't get be captain in a jet without your ATP...read the book, it's all in there.

As far as the name of the company I flew for... I'm not inclined to give names this way. But there are plenty of small operators with 1 or a few planes that operate 135 like this (sometimes on somebody else's certificate) and it isn't rocketscience.

Hard work will get you places!

Hawker rider Worked my butt off flying cargo said:
Are you serious? There is a HUGE difference between getting a type rating and operating safely. I know a guy who got a type in a Falcon 900 with 700tt, but under no circumstances would anyone have turned him loose it the thing. Why? He had the type rating, he just hadn't yet gotten enough experience and developed the judgment necessary to operate the airplane as PIC.

Sorry, Charlie, but a 1200tt or 1500tt PIC with a 300 hr FO . . . would I put my wife and kids in the back of that thing? He11, no!

For the same reason, there seem to be a lot of people that think that you can't get be captain in a jet without your ATP...read the book, it's all in there.

Again, under 135, it IS required. Sounds to me like you're either full of it or need to brush up on your regs.

As far as the name of the company I flew for... I'm not inclined to give names this way. But there are plenty of small operators with 1 or a few planes that operate 135 like this (sometimes on somebody else's certificate) and it isn't rocketscience.

In my experience, those places are usually more of a shelter for battered pilots than a corporate flight department, and are best avoided if you have a desire to have a long career!

Last edited:
hey TY,

According to FAr135 you can not operate a turbojet airplane as PIC without an ATP only in passenger carrying operations.

So to fly cargo part 135 with a turbojet airplane there is no need for an ATP. Looks like you don't really know the regs, but if you don't fly part135 currently I shouldn't expect you to know them either, just check with any 135 certificate holder and they'll back me up.

If it's wise.....that's a completely other question, and only a typerating doesn't mean too much about somebodies skills. under 135 a typerating itself isn't enough, there is a lot more training involved, and ALL certificate holders are a lot more tight with passing and flunking any tests when you are a new pilot, or just have the legal minimums.

I don't want to get into a flaming war here... but there are other ways to become an experienced pilot then to become a CFI.

when I got to the 1200TT point I had just under 1000 hours as SIC in businessjets. THAT did make a difference

P.s. I wouldn't recommend the route i took to anybody. crappy pay, equipment and lousy if no schedule.

Last edited:
I was a 135 jet SIC for a year and a PIC for two. Never carried cargo, so I'll take your word on it. I never instructed, either, and I got my first jet type at 2100tt, so I'm not against low-time captains, but 1200tt seems a bit extreme.

Anyway, apparently you survived it and moved on. Congratulations.

Latest resources

Back