Avantair's new-hire class!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Glass lets do the math:

(And yes, we are counting ALL the time at work and away from our families, not just "airplane time.")

so, let me get this straight, I work at ABC company and they tell me I make $15.00 per hour and on a forty hour work week I take home $31,200.00 before taxes. But I work downtown and that is a one hour commute each way. I also get an hour for lunch and I stop for an hour on the way home each day to get a beer. I am gone from home for a total of 12 hours a day. using this logic, my company lied to me cause I am only being paid $10 per hour that I am away from home.

Hmmm, I should also be paid for washing my clothes for work, getting out of bed for work, brushing my teeth for work and taking a shower for work, cause those are all things I do for work and not for myself. :rolleyes:

so, let me get this straight, I work at ABC company and they tell me I make $15.00 per hour and on a forty hour work week I take home $31,200.00 before taxes. But I work downtown and that is a one hour commute each way. I also get an hour for lunch and I stop for an hour on the way home each day to get a beer. I am gone from home for a total of 12 hours a day. using this logic, my company lied to me cause I am only being paid $10 per hour that I am away from home.

Hmmm, I should also be paid for washing my clothes for work, getting out of bed for work, brushing my teeth for work and taking a shower for work, cause those are all things I do for work and not for myself. :rolleyes:

I didn't count commuting time to the airport and back home. I cut you some slack on that. I would have to add another 6 hours per week for travel time, ticket counters, security lines, and getting on the first airline, thus adding another 150 hours per year to the equation. Since we all are responsible for getting to work, I didn't even add it in.

You have the option of eating lunch at home if you live close enough. I did it a LOT. Can't do that on the road with Avantair. Stopping for a beer on the way home is an option. I can't count that either since I don't drink. Besides, Avantair doesn't alow you to drink during the duty day.

Beats me,,,,,that's why I left the industry. I'm worth more than that.

Self worth is not a function of professional compensation. I'd make far less in the academic world than I do in aviation--would I be worth "less" as a humble researcher or in a teaching position?

I'd make less as a military officer. With regard to understandings of worth in terms of compensation, am I really worth more than a soldier, cop, fireman, teacher, etc.?

That's awesome. The job that pays $77 per work hour to start, has you home 6 months a year and won't let you drink on duty is labeled a $9 an hour job making less than flight instructors.

Meanwhile every regional starts and ends WAY under us, CAL starts way under us and BTSI thinks our growth and pilot hiring is a bad thing.

Yes, you are truly an amazing person.

Beats me,,,,,that's why I left the industry. I'm worth more than that.

So why do you spend so much time here, chatting with those that are still in, or want to be in the industry? We get it, you don't like the lifestyle and you chose to leave. Thats good for you, but why do you come on here and remind everyone of the things you didn't like? Validation? You aren't going to get that here.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back