• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Avantair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I interviewed and was hired by them this week and was very impressed with their growth plans. The pay seems real low to me and may be the reason I don't take this job.

Any Avantair pilots out there with any QOL inputs would be appreciated.

I was told 7 on, 5 or 6 off.
Guaranteed 2 weekends off a month.
91K compliant.

ClubORD said:
I interviewed and was hired by them this week and was very impressed with their growth plans. The pay seems real low to me and may be the reason I don't take this job.

Any Avantair pilots out there with any QOL inputs would be appreciated.

I was told 7 on, 5 or 6 off.
Guaranteed 2 weekends off a month.
91K compliant.

I guess you shouldn't expect to be paid Gulfstream or Hawker wages on a P180... That being said, I have seen the aircraft and talked to a few of the pilots and they seem generally happy. Looks like a fun aircraft to fly, but that doesn't pay the bills...

ClubORD,

Make sure you check that 91k compliant.

Out of NJA/OPs/Flex, there seems to be three ways of looking at 91k "compliant". May not be that big a deal to you, but thought you should have a heads up.

I heard they are doing proving runs in the Premier jet and heard the rumers of the Hawker too, seems like a good company but the pay is low if you are not capt, even then . . . not G-IV scale but not bad

QOL is good for the pilots I know there

I wouldn't give Kit any money but if you showed up in a suit sometime after lunch at the hotel where the meeting is held . . . worked for some people I know about

hope to start with Avantair soon, maybe next month

FAR 135 proving runs with the Premiers were completed last month (July)

2 Premiers on property. All aircraft are are on Part 135 cert.

Haven;t heard anything about Hawkers, etc. But have heard maybe more Premiers.

Normal tour is 7 1/2 days on, 6 1/2 days off. That half day each side of tour is for airline travel. Sometimes not used.

Many more Avantis on order through 2007.

They run a class about every month, one wall is that they often back up for flight training in the airplane. When the Avanti sim gets up in PBI (Flight Safety) later this year of early in 2006, things in the training dept will go somewhat more smoothly.

Pay is what it is, 18K non-prorated training contract (12 months) from completion of IOE.

Talk of more pilot bases: Dallas? Chicago?

Its the usual fractional job, most of the time its balls to the wall for 10-14 hour duty days, nice hotels, occassional crew meal in that duty day, SIC pay is absurdly low (25K), upgrades come based on merit, can get hired as PIC, new 401K plan, health coverage, annual bonus plan for pilots that is deferred for the first 3 years. You can turn down overtime. From what I see they don't force you to do it, although some pilots have been involuntarily extended.

Downside: The SIC pay, overtime rates for SIC ($150 day), operations dept is inexpereinced, lots of things fall through the cracks and the pilots have to catch it and fix it with the pax, inexperienced flight management, no senority list, no biding on schedules, I guess the same 7 1/2 6 1/2 rotation is done for the rest of your life, limited pilot bases, the new GOM has lots of undefined holes that could get you, PIC overtime rate is fixed at $300/day with no adjustment for seniority with the company (but the most senior pilots are only 2 years on the job).

All in all, not bad to work for, its a young company, may not be that "career" job, but not bad to work for until you find that "dream" job. My fear is that as they get bigger, usual things will happen and the quality of life issues will fall through the cracks, etc, etc.

RoughAir said:
FAR 135 proving runs with the Premiers were completed last month (July)

2 Premiers on property. All aircraft are are on Part 135 cert.

Haven;t heard anything about Hawkers, etc. But have heard maybe more Premiers.

Normal tour is 7 1/2 days on, 6 1/2 days off. That half day each side of tour is for airline travel. Sometimes not used.

Many more Avantis on order through 2007.

They run a class about every month, one wall is that they often back up for flight training in the airplane. When the Avanti sim gets up in PBI (Flight Safety) later this year of early in 2006, things in the training dept will go somewhat more smoothly.

Pay is what it is, 18K non-prorated training contract (12 months) from completion of IOE.

Talk of more pilot bases: Dallas? Chicago?

Its the usual fractional job, most of the time its balls to the wall for 10-14 hour duty days, nice hotels, occassional crew meal in that duty day, SIC pay is absurdly low (25K), upgrades come based on merit, can get hired as PIC, new 401K plan, health coverage, annual bonus plan for pilots that is deferred for the first 3 years. You can turn down overtime. From what I see they don't force you to do it, although some pilots have been involuntarily extended.

Downside: The SIC pay, overtime rates for SIC ($150 day), operations dept is inexpereinced, lots of things fall through the cracks and the pilots have to catch it and fix it with the pax, inexperienced flight management, no senority list, no biding on schedules, I guess the same 7 1/2 6 1/2 rotation is done for the rest of your life, limited pilot bases, the new GOM has lots of undefined holes that could get you, PIC overtime rate is fixed at $300/day with no adjustment for seniority with the company (but the most senior pilots are only 2 years on the job).

All in all, not bad to work for, its a young company, may not be that "career" job, but not bad to work for until you find that "dream" job. My fear is that as they get bigger, usual things will happen and the quality of life issues will fall through the cracks, etc, etc.

How do you like flying the P180? How far can you fly it (any examples) and how long before it becomes uncomfortable up front (it looks a bit tight)?

Latest resources

Back