Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
From an interview gouge site:

Interview experience:
In fifteen years of flying for a living, I've never experienced a more incompetent interview process. Others have called it "laid back". I call it insulting. After speaking to their recruiter, she, on the phone a number of times and sending her copies of my resume and letters of recommendation, she couldn't even remember my name and had no paperwork on file for me - I had to start all over, giving her copies of everything. He, their new director of operations (according to the traffic on the web, he's only had to position for a month, the old D.O. having left suddenly and apparently unhappily) spent fifteen minutes giving me a presentation he was obviously bored to tears by. A couple of the high points, for those of you who are thinking of shelling out a few hundred bucks to go interview with them (that's right - they don't provide transportation to the interview): - It's not 7.5 days on, 6.5 days off, as advertised. It's often 8 or 9 days on, or more, and you're expected to "pitch in" and be "one of the team" when extra days are required. Overtime pay is 150% - Crew meals are only provided when you're actually in the air at mealtime (hint: compare this with NetJets, where you order off the same menu as the rich passengers). - You will be required to sign an $18,000 one-year training contract. No, that's not a typo, and it's not pro-rated. Leave after 11 months and they'll still sue you for the whole eighteen grand. - You're not an employee until after indoc and ground training. Until you start flying, you don't make a dime. There were a bunch of other things that made it obvious this is just another cheap, poorly managed 135 operation, just like the one you worked for at your local airport not so long ago. We took a short break and I snuck off to look at their dispatch and scheduling area (no one offered a tour). Can't speak for the competence of the people, but the area they work in is obviously low rent, and the couple of folks I spoke to weren't happy with their jobs. Lots of attitude, didn't have anything nice to say about the pilots. Continued the interview with She while He played with a computer in the room and generally looked uninterested in the proceedings. Her questions sounded like she'd read the gouge on NetJets and just cribbed from them. She even posed the "kids in the back drawing on the walls with crayons" scenario. When I admitted that I'd read the gouge on this site, she got upset. Other interviewers seem to take it as a sign of initiative that you did some research, but she acted like I was cheating. He then finished up with a rant about how a pilot that he'd recruited personally had just resigned to go to NetJets, as if it was a sign of poor character to jump off a sinking ship for better pay and working conditions. The interview terminated very abruptly, leaving me feeling that I had been given little opportunity to show them who I am or what my capabilities are. They never asked to see my logbooks, license or anything else, for that matter. I'm still working part 121, so I was able to jumpseat in, but it was still a complete waste of a day of my time. If I'd had to pay for a ticket, I would have been really upset. If I had to sum up my feelings in one word, it would be "disregarded". It's been two weeks, and I have yet to hear from them. I called Her, and she said "H.R. sends out the letters after He makes his decision - I don't know anything." Not that it matters at this point - I interviewed with NetJets 3 days later and have been offered a job there.

Thanks Foz, but if you'll notice my subject line, I just took that off of a interview gouge board to share it here.

Puke Rebuked

Hey Puke, Apparently your negative attitude and eagerness to spread rumors and the half truths of like minded malcontents has had an opposite affect on the good people you have attempted to influence. Apparently there are others who have been interviewed and were hired that do not share in your pessimistic, doom and gloom, the sky is falling outlook.

I noticed you didn’t bother to share these opposing viewpoints with the rest of us. Was that because these other opinions did not support your agenda?

Since I knew you wouldn’t, I have gone ahead and copy/pasted the summaries of two new hires. Clearly there is a difference of opinion.
  • Interview experience:
    At the risk of turning this great resource into just another FORUM, I felt I had to submit my positive interview experience with Avantair. Received a phone call from E. P. at the end of March, went through phone interview portion. Why Avantair? What do you know about the company? What are you flying now? Why leave current job? Brief information about the company, then offered interview. Pay your own way, so I researched various forums, got some PMs back with positive information, and decided to spend the $$ to travel to TPA. Met at the airport by their company driver, one other interviewee with me. First, paperwork, followed by info session with DO, C. M. Very forthcoming with info, didn't confirm or ridicule rumors heard, but was straightforward with his information available. Big things happening soon, and ramping up hiring to keep up. HR questions: Why Avantair? Customer service questions: remember that this is NOT 135, the pax are the owners! Do everything you can to please them, with safety being the ruling factor, but don't forget that in 91K, owners do hAve some operational control. Kids writing on the wall with crayons?! (Don't treat them like you'd treat your own at that point) Overfueled? (Owner arrived with extra pax for long leg, and you can't de-fuel this aircraft) Tech questions: Aspen approach, holding speeds, holding entry, do we need an alternate etc. Job offered at interview, flight $$ reimbursed if hired (they really want to weed out the "job fisherman") Looks like a good schedule, pay is very competitive, upgrade fast (everyone hired seems to have PIC minimums), hence the mins requirements, and they all seem to enjoy the airplane. Both E and C are very net savvy, and they don't like backstabbing from within on forums and chat rooms. Freedom of speech is great, but don't bite the hand that feeds you. If there's a problem, take it up with someone who can do something about it, don't just complain like a regional pilot! All in all, I'm looking fwd to it, looks like a place to go and stay. PS (E, if I gave away too many questions here, sorry, just tryin to help get some more quality pilots on-line!)
  • Interview experience:
    I flew in for an afternoon interview after being called by E. to confirm some of the information on my resume. I was picked up by the driver from the airport and dropped off. When I arrived at the office C. the DO and E. his Assistant had me fill out an application. The facilities were not much but it was explained that they had just moved and most of the furniture had not arrived yet. When I was finished C. and E. went over the power point presentation about the company. During this time we were asked about what we knew about the company and the aircraft they operate. When that was finished we were able to ask any questions. During this time I asked some very pointed questions and feel that C. was able to answer all the questions honestly. He strongly emphasized that he wanted you to think about the choice you were making and if you had any doubts to think about it long and hard before making the commitment. When the presentation portion of the interview was complete we went into the one on one portion of the interview. C. left the room to work on an issue that had come up during the first portion of the interview so E. conducted most of the one on one. I was asked the typical HR type of "what would you do?" questions. She also asked questions about an approach plate with a METAR to go with it. All in all the interview was a positive experience. I know that many of the people were offered a tour of the facility but I was unable due to the fact I had a flight that was leaving.
Now Puke:puke:, I don’t know and I really don’t care what the motivation or grudge is that has caused you to want to try and drag down a company that is so obviously putting a lot of effort into working together as a team to solve issues. Your approach of attacking, pointing fingers and blaming one another shows your obvious lack of maturity and educational level as well as an unwillingness to work at making a change. It is an obvious Monday night, arm chair quarterback technique developed by a self centered, lazy natured cling-on.

If you really believed the negativity that you preach, please by all means, either get your lazy fat @$$ in gear and find another place to work, or lend a hand and help us influence the company to continue with its current direction of changes.

RolandPull:

Well said!!

RollandPull said:
Overfueled? (Owner arrived with extra pax for long leg, and you can't de-fuel this aircraft)
You can do a limited defueling of the Piaggio. All you need to do is add a length of hose to the defueling nozzle and stick it in the gravity fueling filler port on top the fuselage.

I worked for Avantair in early 2004. That January, we were flying PSP to MMGM with 6 pax and the FBO over filled us by 800 lbs. We called maintenance and asked how to defuel. They told us about the above method. We defueled the extra 800 lbs.

In April 2004, we were flying PWK to TPA and the owner showed up with 4 extra guest when it was supposed to be just him and his wife. They also brought excessive bags. We were 900 lbs over weight. The FBO did not have a hose to add to the nozzle to defuel us. I called the DO who said "and what are we supposed to do about it?" My answer - either the owner loses some friends or stays at the FBO while the other pilot and I go shoot approaches for an hour to burn off the excess fuel. We shot the approaches. The DO was not happy but what could he do - order us to fly overwieght?

What was your answer to this question?

RollandPull said:
Now Puke:puke:, I don’t know and I really don’t care what the motivation or grudge is that has caused you to want to try and drag down a company that is so obviously putting a lot of effort into working together as a team to solve issues. Your approach of attacking, pointing fingers and blaming one another shows your obvious lack of maturity and educational level as well as an unwillingness to work at making a change. It is an obvious Monday night, arm chair quarterback technique developed by a self centered, lazy natured cling-on.

If you really believed the negativity that you preach, please by all means, either get your lazy fat @$$ in gear and find another place to work, or lend a hand and help us influence the company to continue with its current direction of changes.

Mmm, impressive parlay of words superman. Now, would that font color you chose be considered prettyboy pink or @ss kissing muave? It's entertaining to see you get your panties all in a wad.....

Rebuked Puke's

P180puke said:
Mmm, impressive parlay of words superman. Now, would that font color you chose be considered prettyboy pink or @ss kissing muave? It's entertaining to see you get your panties all in a wad.....

Puke, I like to call that font color: "get your attention pink" and look, imagine that, it worked. Like a neon sign in front of the stripper club. it got your attention and sucked you right in. Thank you for playing Puke.

Sounds like RollandPull is an insider.....or employed by Avantair ??? hmmmm. I'll have to forward his/her message to headquarters....

P180puke said:
Interview experience:
In fifteen years of flying for a living, I've never experienced a more incompetent interview process. Others have called it "laid back". I call it insulting. After speaking to their recruiter, she, on the phone a number of times and sending her copies of my resume and letters of recommendation, she couldn't even remember my name and had no paperwork on file for me - I had to start all over, giving her copies of everything. He, their new director of operations (according to the traffic on the web, he's only had to position for a month, the old D.O. having left suddenly and apparently unhappily) spent fifteen minutes giving me a presentation he was obviously bored to tears by. A couple of the high points, for those of you who are thinking of shelling out a few hundred bucks to go interview with them (that's right - they don't provide transportation to the interview): - It's not 7.5 days on, 6.5 days off, as advertised. It's often 8 or 9 days on, or more, and you're expected to "pitch in" and be "one of the team" when extra days are required. Overtime pay is 150% - Crew meals are only provided when you're actually in the air at mealtime (hint: compare this with NetJets, where you order off the same menu as the rich passengers). - You will be required to sign an $18,000 one-year training contract. No, that's not a typo, and it's not pro-rated. Leave after 11 months and they'll still sue you for the whole eighteen grand. - You're not an employee until after indoc and ground training. Until you start flying, you don't make a dime. There were a bunch of other things that made it obvious this is just another cheap, poorly managed 135 operation, just like the one you worked for at your local airport not so long ago. We took a short break and I snuck off to look at their dispatch and scheduling area (no one offered a tour). Can't speak for the competence of the people, but the area they work in is obviously low rent, and the couple of folks I spoke to weren't happy with their jobs. Lots of attitude, didn't have anything nice to say about the pilots. Continued the interview with She while He played with a computer in the room and generally looked uninterested in the proceedings. Her questions sounded like she'd read the gouge on NetJets and just cribbed from them. She even posed the "kids in the back drawing on the walls with crayons" scenario. When I admitted that I'd read the gouge on this site, she got upset. Other interviewers seem to take it as a sign of initiative that you did some research, but she acted like I was cheating. He then finished up with a rant about how a pilot that he'd recruited personally had just resigned to go to NetJets, as if it was a sign of poor character to jump off a sinking ship for better pay and working conditions. The interview terminated very abruptly, leaving me feeling that I had been given little opportunity to show them who I am or what my capabilities are. They never asked to see my logbooks, license or anything else, for that matter. I'm still working part 121, so I was able to jumpseat in, but it was still a complete waste of a day of my time. If I'd had to pay for a ticket, I would have been really upset. If I had to sum up my feelings in one word, it would be "disregarded". It's been two weeks, and I have yet to hear from them. I called Her, and she said "H.R. sends out the letters after He makes his decision - I don't know anything." Not that it matters at this point - I interviewed with NetJets 3 days later and have been offered a job there.

If E and C like you, you're golden. If not, you won't get the job. Nothing to do with qualifications. Interesting, since neither are qualified to do what they do.

Latest resources

Back