• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

August 1/2 NJA interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I take it if you are hired into the Ultra you do not fly the Encore as well? How quickly are they currently retiring the Ultra from the fleet?

Last edited:
I take it if you are hired into the Ultra you do not fly the Encore as well?

Correct. They were a combined fleet in the past when the Encores were new, but they're now a completely separately fleet.

Not sure on the speed of the Ultra retirements.

We have about 60 Ultras now. Replacing about one a month with the Encore + starting at the end of this year. There will still be plenty of them for you to fly until your lock is up :) Doesn't seem to be a super busy fleet for the most part, and at least you are missing this heat wave of a summer in it.

Congrats woota, and welcome aboard! :beer: The Excel is a pretty fun fleet to be on, but be prepared to work!

I am curious as to what the differences are between the Ultra/Encore/Encore+? I was browsing on the NetJets corporate website and it looked like the cockpit layout and avionics were identical on the Ultra/Encore. I don't believe they had any info about the Encore+ on there. Is it structural and powerplant differences for the most part? Thanks for the info.

I am curious as to what the differences are between the Ultra/Encore/Encore+? I was browsing on the NetJets corporate website and it looked like the cockpit layout and avionics were identical on the Ultra/Encore.

They are indeed similar. Biggest differences with the Encore are a hot wing instead of boots, trailing link gear, more powerful engines, and the Honeywell FMZ FMS instead of the Ultra's [SIZE=-1]GNS XLS FMS. (The FMZ is used in several of our other models, including the Excel.) The Honeywell Primus 1000 EFIS is on both the Ultra and Encore.[/SIZE]

I don't believe they had any info about the Encore+ on there. Is it structural and powerplant differences for the most part?
The Encore+ has Collins Proline 21 avionics -- that's the biggest change with it. They moved away from the Honeywell stuff entirely. (Same story with the XLS+ when it comes out.)

I take it if you are hired into the Ultra you do not fly the Encore as well? How quickly are they currently retiring the Ultra from the fleet?

"As fast as we can sell them", is the answer I got when I asked.

At any one time, NJA has 2 on the market and Cessna is pumping out the 560EP as a replacement for now.

In the future, a CJ model may augment and further diversify the current 560 fleet.

It appears that Cessna will be assisting with fleet disposal of some of the 560's while NJ Disposals continues finding buyers for slightly used Ultras. ;)

I look forward to the Ultra being the DC9 of my career. I've flown FADEC, auto throttles, auto land and fly by wire... the Ultra has none of that but its a fun plane. While it's fun, it's VERY manual in every way. Viva la automation.... at least some.

I wouldn't look for the U-Boat fleet to survive but a few years and I bet that captain bids for the U-Boat will all but dry up in the neart future as the fleet compresses.

Thread Aircraft Key
U-Boat, 560 = Ultra
560E = Encore
560EP = Encore Plus
CJ = Citation Jet Series

I am curious as to what the differences are between the Ultra/Encore/Encore+? I was browsing on the NetJets corporate website and it looked like the cockpit layout and avionics were identical on the Ultra/Encore. I don't believe they had any info about the Encore+ on there. Is it structural and powerplant differences for the most part? Thanks for the info.

Main differences in the 3 models are technological upgrades that occured over the years.

Engines, fuel controls, heated wings vs. boots, aviaonics packages, landing gear... these are some of the major categories of change in this aircraft model over time.

Latest resources

Back