Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bjetset2

Hello Anyone Who Can Help:

I am the Safety Program Manager for our department. I am seeking a checklist template for conducting internal department audits as part of our Safety Program. I have looked into IS-BAO and ARG/US. Anyone care to share or point me in another direction? We operate four airplanes in domestic and Western EU ops under Part 91. We do have our own Maintenance Department.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help.

This is a huge task I am also undertaking. One recommendation is in the 8400 Inspectors manual. I don't remember the exact reference right now, but it has a base inspection checklist. It is more geared for 135 or 121, but it is a good thorough checklist.

You may find in one of these audits that they are not just looking for "legal," which the majority of operators are, but for "best industry practices" which is a harder standard to meet. An operator I talked to who recently became ARGUS platinum said that the big trick was having written procedures for every function. Just saying that we follow the regs is not enough.

Would be interested in anyone else's info. Seems like a worthwhile project, but not as easy as it sounds.

As far as telling you where to get an "audit checklist" I'm don't know of anything like that in the public domain outside of the 8400 guide mentioned above. ARGUS et al have their own respected system but I'm sure that is a proprietary document that is hard to get a hold of without $$$ being involved. I think they charge over $10K for a standard departmental audit.

My last employer/operator went through a full ARGUS audit last spring and we were all surprised and the specific items that are required for a Platinum rating. If you want more specifics PM me and I'll tell you what little I know. Best Industry practices is only the beginning.

Audit Procedures Manual

IS-BAO actually has an auditor procedures manual for its certified auditors. Bottom line is having things in writing and best industry practices is more than simply being legal. PM me if you'd like more specific info.

IS-BAO audits

There are many companies which provide third-party audits to obtain a Certificate of Registration from the International Business Aviation Council (IBAC) Standards Board. Key to IS-BAO certification is establishing a Safety Management System (SMS) -- a strong commitment to establishing a proactive safety culture in your organization.

Checkout the IS-BAO website for certified auditors.

PM me if you're interested in learning more about IS-BAO audits.

www.capacg.com is a useful resource.

skip the audit, just get/buy a legal copy of the audit checklist.

Is-bao

Thanks Cap747. I think I'm going to get accredited as an auditor to learn about the process. We'll thus have the checklist and it should be easier to prepare for a third party to do our actual audit.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

sounds like a good plan

It sounds as if you have a good plan -- if you need any help along the way let me know. Cheers, cap747400

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back