Attrition at ASA after the bonus?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cancel or delay orders=Pilot hiring???10 to 15 yrs to upgrade
Bye Bye office staff=Here comes the Merger...

That's exactly what I was thinking. What a great way to divert attention while a merger is incoming.

Trojan

yeah, it was a good speech. apparently the ATRs are here to stay, despite breaking down and being very costly to maintain now.

I've long suspected this, but did the Bradster specifically address this? Any quotes from the show and tell session of the 4th?

The article I found at the AJC site specifically mentioned that Delta would, for now, continue to hire pilots and sucktomer service types.

However, obviously, this can change, possibly already has, on a moment's notice.

I bet Delta's announcement of a hiring freeze (and possible layoffs next year) may affect attrition. Surely the other legacy carriers will follow up shortly.
There has not been a word on the Delta side about a hiring freeze. To be specific, there is a freeze on for the G.O. staff that has been on since late summer before Whitehurst departed. There are bonuses for referring Flight Attendants and the pilots are supposed to increase in number by 625 to 650 in 2008.

In 2007 the forcast number was 200 to 250 and they hired 400.

We're losing 20 a month right now. Not as high as it has been, but after 4Q it should pickup... no?[/quote]

I'm not so sure about the attrition spiking after the bonus is paid. Think about it, if someone had a class date at (fill in Major of choice), would you put that on an indefinate hold to stick around for the ASA bonus? I'm just not so sure that folks would ask the major to wait on them until they got their bonus.

I know an ATR captain who just got hired at CAL. I think that he wound up leaving just before the bonus calculation date because that's when he had to be in Houston for training.

There won't be a whole meger in this industry. Delta and USAirways was scrupled to death by both investors AND the government. The government was bringing up anti-trust concerns between number six (Airways) and number three (Delta) in size. I believe the pilot groups would have been about 9k strong as a combined list. No way is the government going to let Delta merge with United or Northwest, resulting a seniority list of pilots topping 10K or 11K. People were dead set against a Delta/USAirways merger because of furloughes......since then, USAirways has announced HIRING 425 pilots. It's funny how things work out. Delta just didn't want to be the hunted.......

As I said, no Major mergers in this industry. I'd be willing to see some more of the smaller ones go for consolidation though. Alaska, Midwest, Frontier, JB, Aloha, Hawaiian- I'd expect to see some of them get snatched up by the majors over the course of the next few years.

There you have it, the final answer to everyones concern over a major/legacy merger!

Sorry dude, but there is way more to it.

Just one point alone, there would be possible furloughs because IF the govt agreed to the merger, the airline would have to agree to giving up many routes, in order to avoid a monopoly.

Under the right terms, the Govt. would allow.

Medeco

Latest resources

Back