Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Captain X

Who is John Galt?
Send your cards in to get a vote for/against ALPA being your representational body!

Let your pilots vote on it and decide your own fate.

WTF?

Capt X.

Just wondering.. by looking at your types flown I would say that you don't work for Commutair but for COEX instead. Why is it so important to you that we send in our cards?

Also, some of our pilots are feeling pressure from within to send the stupid things in, so I don't think that your approach is worth it.

And finally to you, and all the Commutair guys/gals out there, what do you want from ALPA, or better yet what do you think that it will help us get?

Sincerlery,

A proud Fence sitter

I can speak from experience, If you don't have a UNION you need one. It may help protect you from things you cannot even imagine could happen in the future. It also is not the answer to all problems and cannot help you get what is not to be had. ALPA is not and cannot be all things to all people, you and your coworkers have to make the decision thats right for you.

Lets put it this way. My flight attendant on the 4 day I'm currenly on is a furloughed COEX pilot. Several opted to go to the cabin while out on furlough. They got to keep their date of hire for travel, FA pay etc. He decided not to take the Commutair option given to furloughed Express pilots as his paycut would be 6,000 a year leaving his FA job at Express to fly as f/o on the 1900. I think a big raise is needed at Commutair. I hope we (COEX) can assist in any way possible.

Capt X,

I have to wonder, too. What does it matter to a non-CommutAir pilot what we do with our cards? I am sick and tired of being harrassed every time I come through ALB about the stupid things.

IAHERJ,

We are among the best paid 1900 drivers in the country. Not the best paid, but certainly better than most. I'm super excited that your F/A's with seniority make more than our probationary newhires do. What do your FO's make first year out? Sure, after the second or third year our FO's start falling behing on the pay scale, but that doesn't really matter because by then you've already upgraded anyway.

I'm not trying to be a dork, but I'm getting fed up with these ALPA types blowing smoke up our pilots a$$es. ALPA does have a lot to offer us, no doubt. A little job protection, maybe. A little protrection from the d!cking around that sheduling gives us, maybe. An opportunity to give up 2% of our salary, definitely. More money for less work, no way.

I'm not saying that ALPA is wrong for us. Just don't go into it with unrealistic expectations of what you will get. And definitely don't be intimidated into sending in a card or voting on something you don't believe in.

On a different note, welcome to all of the COEX guy and gals that are joining us. The company is great, the planes are way too fun to fly and I think we've got one of the the best groups of pilots around. I hope you enjoy your stay with us and I look forward to flying with you.

Commutair Guys. While I don't work their I've got several good friends who do and this is just my humble veiw is that ALPA wouldnt do anything but take your 2% and use it for mainline guys to have their BOD meetings on a yatch in Miami.

Another thing sked will still find a way to screw with you even if you have alpa. Just look at ALG and PDT.

desksjobs,

In no way did I advocate ALPA in my post. I pointed out that one of our pilots could not afford the paycut and the move, reserve etc. at this time as he is on 3 year FA pay now at COEX. I think that a pilot in any year from 1-5 should make more than any regional FA. That's just my opinion. First year pay should not pay less than 25K if you expect fo's to be able to come to work with a clear mind and bills being paid. My FA is the only current COEX FA (furloughed pilot)who did not opt to go to Commutair. I agree Commutair has a great group of pilots. A quick search of my previous posts will show my support for Commutair guys/gals in jumpseat issues among others. I think you are worth more than you are paid right now but don't necessarily think ALPA is the answer. More like an option. I'm leaving Express next month for another airline anyway but I hope to see the two groups working very close over the next few years as I see more Commutair expansion into CAL's hubs.

Re: WTF?

What'sit2U said:
Capt X.

Just wondering.. by looking at your types flown I would say that you don't work for Commutair but for COEX instead. Why is it so important to you that we send in our cards?

You're correct, I am a CALEX pilot. I am also a person who was once a fence-sitter (actually I still stand pretty close to the fence too).

I can tell you that going from a company that was non-union to a company with representation was the difference between night and day.

Going from and independant union (IACP) to ALPA was the same way.

The amount of resouces that we have available during our ongoing contract negotiations is incredible. Often times, our negotiators go to the table and catch our management team with their pants down. This is all because of the preparation and resources from ALPA----well worth 2% of my pay (which you can deduct anyway).

Why does it matter to me what you guys do?

I could honestly care less, but let's just call it one Professional Airline Pilot looking out for others in our system.

So I just think you guys should get it to a vote and get it over with. That's all the cards that you're being "pressured" to submit are.

They're not saying you align with one belief or the other, they're just saying "let's actually see what everyone believes".

Finally, I don't know if you've been paying attention to the recent events with Mesa and the whole Freedom Air debacle or not, but Freedom was JOs leverage. He used it to make the MESA pilots buy their jobs (CC Air) and job security back. He was able to do this by hijacking their jobs via a non-organized carrier whose pilots were too apathetic and self-serving that they did not care about the profession as a whole.

Pay close attention....you might see some similarities.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back