Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Tryful

Hello all,

I'm currently about to start my training full swing to become an airline pilot which is my dream but I have a medical question for the pilots of major airlines and regionals. This is a question that you can only answer based on your expierience, my flight surgeon couldn't answer it.

First here is my situation, I can now hold a first class medical no problem. Why am I concerned? Because I have a high frequency hearing loss, about 55db from 2000hz to 3000hz otherwise my hearing is normal. I know as far as the FAA says, I am qualified.

But my question is, are the airlines going to give me a audiogram to determine my actual hearing? See my loss and turn me away because of it? I know they can have different standards then the FAA. So please if you could let me know whether the airlines are going to do this to me or not? Or do they just send to their own surgeon and make sure he or she passes you for the first class?

Please if you have any other insight to this question or need further information about my hearing loss to determine a good answer let me know ASAP. This has been a worry since I was about 4 when I decided I wanted to be an airline pilot.

Thanks!
Tyler

I have only received a hearing test for my 1st class physical only.

I work for a regional and they did not require I get a physical or hearing test.

As far as majors go, I think they might require a test, but I am not sure.

Im sure someone with some good hard facts will give you some pointers.

Good luck

Thanks LR25, now I hold firm that I will make it into the regionals with no real problem. What airline do you happen to fly for?

Yep thats what I'm hoping is that someone with indepth knowledge can help me on this issue. I know this is the place to find out! ;) Lots of good people on this board.

Tyler

High pitch frequency hearing loss should not be a problem. If you read the FAR 67 under 1st class requirements, you will see the hearing requirement being something like conversational voice from 6 ft away or something like that. I don't know it off hand. As for the majors giving physicals, to my knowledge, it's UAL, AA, and to be honest, I can't think of any others...

I would also protect your hearing. Use ANR (active noise-reduction) headsets. You'll pay 300-700 bux for them, but believe me, they are worth every penny.

Personally, I don't think you'll have any problems with class 1 physical. Just protect it so it doesn't deteriorate any further.

Good luck.

Tryful said:
But my question is, are the airlines going to give me a audiogram to determine my actual hearing? See my loss and turn me away because of it? I know they can have different standards then the FAA.

Many of the major airlines required a physical that was more comprehensive than the FAA Class 1 until the late nineties. They are now prohibited (law and litigation) from requiring more than the FAA. If required, the physical will be about the same as your FAA physical.

I wish you success!

And this is why I knew I could ask here because I would get the right answers! Thanks all!
I was hoping the Americans w/ disabilitys act would help me out and it sounds as if this is true according to what Bill said.

Also another question guys, I'm now currently using DC 10.13.4's, will these be enough protection to make sure my hearing does not deteriorate anymore?

Well now I'm very relieved, I went in for a first class a day ago to make sure I could hold it and I passed no problem. :D

Hi

I heard that American does an eardrum flexion test but may be thinking of another Major . As it sounds, it tests the flexibility of the eardrum .. As an avid hunter and target shooter I too am concerned with my hearing. My Ear nose and throat Doc says avoid loud noise like a gunshot like the plague !! good luck regards Chas

Tryful said:
Also another question guys, I'm now currently using DC 10.13.4's, will these be enough protection to make sure my hearing does not deteriorate anymore?
In a nutshell, no; H10-13.4s provide only passive attenuation. Get the Headsets, Inc. ANR upgrade for your DCs. It's a $170 upgrade, but what's your hearing worth to you? What would you pay to get back the hearing you've already lost? More than $170, I bet.

American and American Eagle perform a comprehensive medical, all-day exam. Ear related exams include, eardrum pressurization, hearing acuity (sensitivity and frequency) and visual exam.

I don't know the thresholds for employment.

Good luck

Latest resources

Back