• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Attention Pdt Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ah, yes. The Many must suffer for the sins of the Few.

Indeed. Who knew grade school would prepare me for the airlines?

Anyway, what a bunch of crap all around. I once flew with a guy who said he hadn't used sick time in years, so he was going to take a month off. One occurrence, no-fault policy. Beautiful. I heart PDT management. :angryfire

Guys...

Any time you go to the doctor and you have any illness or injury that requires you to be out of work for 3 days or requires follow up care- That is FMLA! and the stupid occurrence policy cannot TOUCH you.
Go to the doc, pay your $10.00 and don't sweat it.

It is amazing to me that they are so desperate to save dough, yet they pay an outside company to review FMLA claims... The number of which are double what they might otherwise be but for PDT's hysteria about sick time. Amazing.

Sick time is negotiated. Period.

If the company has a problem paying it out then they need to negotiate awarded sick time in the next contract talks.

Sick? Define it! Flu, Stomach bug, stress at home, tired, taking a day off, whatever it does not matter IT'S NEGOTIATED!!!

Do not let tactics try to put your under the impression that all of a sudden you will be fired for using something that was awarded to you.

Sick time is negotiated. Period.

If the company has a problem paying it out then they need to negotiate awarded sick time in the next contract talks.

Strongly, strongly agree. At my current job, our director of crew planning once said that if every pilot cashed out his sick bank, the airline would go bankrupt. Well, WTF? Why the eff do I get a whopping five hours a month if the Company isn't prepared to allow me to use it? Again, :angryfire .

Guys...

Any time you go to the doctor and you have any illness or injury that requires you to be out of work for 3 days or requires follow up care- That is FMLA! and the stupid occurrence policy cannot TOUCH you.
Go to the doc, pay your $10.00 and don't sweat it.
Yea well its a royal pain in the ass. The company pays the contractor. They work for Piedmont, not the employee. They will give you so much crap and headache about your FMLA forms, which are not "approved" until a couple week after you send them in, so you have no idea if they will deny it for some stupid technicality.

For example...if the doctor puts "1-2 weeks" they will only approve one week. They interpret 1-2 weeks as "1 or 2 weeks" instead of "up to 2 weeks", but it takes 15 emails to get that explanation. Meanwhile you get occurences if you are out more than a week.

So its not really a "don't sweat it" deal, but for those of us that call in well, and rejoin our trips once we get over the 24 hour bug, it's a better policy.

Anyone a little peeved that we have an LOA that just got shot out the window? A negotiated part of THE CONTRACT?

It is a unilateral change to the thing. So what if we told them to pound sand when they asked for a concession to this? They can't throw up their arms and say, "Eff it. We're changing this, and putting it in the FOM." Might as well slash our pay 85% and put THAT in the FOM. The union's position: We will not sign a danged thing that restricts our earned sick time use any futher.

Their reaction? Just kinda break the law, and stuff.

It isn't over. What could such a sneaky, snarky, simpleton "brown-shoe" failure at everything possibly do more to finally give us all something we can all get pissed about? Perfect job well done in 5 pages.

I'm guessing the average sick call is a 4 day stretch. We did not get our hand smacking until five occurrences with the old policy. So now it's like we lost one occurrence from the old program but gained the flexibility of spreading out the sick calls to more individual stretches per year. Albeit much shorter ones. Not cool...

I also love how many exceptions they have to a "no-fault" program. Eff these effing azz's.....

Did you read it carefully?

They call it a no-fault program, yet at the end of that same paragraph, it explicitly says that fault/no fault is irrelevant.

They also give themselves a broad brush when they describe what 'abuse' is, giving them the right to terminate you at occurrence #1. If you get the squirts on vacation and miss a day of work, the way I read this bucket of tripe means you CAN be terminated.

Nice one. ILLEGAL, but nice.

What isn't spelled out in the program is what happens when you call in well. At least in my case, Piedmont has been less than willing to get me back on my trip after a 24 hour "bug." So what, am I going to have to sit STBY in the crashpad when they can't get me back on my trip? Or are they going to use this to make life on the RSV sitters even more unpredictable than it already is?

I think it is definately worthwhile to codify whatever our sick policy is going to be in our next contract. That way it is harder to make unilateral changes to the policy or to use that neat little clause in the FOM that basically says you can get fired anytime you are determined to be "undependable," regardless of what the policy at the time might be.

The only thing spelled out in the program, writ large, is this:

We hate you sorry scumbags, and want you nice and scared by May so you don't get any silly, pie-in-the-sky ideas of improving your lot. Be thankful you have a job, because we now have the "power" to yank it from you.

Again, that niggling detail regarding how this sort of thing already exists in the contract....

Heck, I'm going to publish an FIL rendering crew schedulers' requests moot. Fly whatcha want! It is just as stupid as regarding this thing as legitimate.

Latest resources

Back