• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Attention Former Jetblue Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep, a law firm was willing to work for us because of a "nebulously worded sentence".

I'm no legal expert, but my gut feeling is that they are onboard because they see the potential upside as being very real, i.e. this sentence isn't as nebulous as you make it out to be.

Who knows. Only time will tell.
My guess is they are involved because the attorney is BANGING Mona's sister!!

My guess is they are involved because the attorney is BANGING Mona's sister!!

Mona has a sister? Eww. Now would that make Mona an older brother or older sister?

Yep, a law firm was willing to work for us because of a "nebulously worded sentence".

I'm no legal expert, but my gut feeling is that they are onboard because they see the potential upside as being very real, i.e. this sentence isn't as nebulous as you make it out to be.

Who knows. Only time will tell.

What is the upside the law firm see?
Here are some facts to consider.
Depending on the defendant's attitude, a class action may take many times longer or quite a bit shorter than individual cases. Some drag on for 10 years, while others settle in six months. The usual order of events is that after a complaint is filed, the parties do limited investigation into whether the action fits the class action requirements. The plaintiffs then ask the court for class certification. If the court says yes, there may be more investigation or the case may settle. If the court says no, the case will proceed only for the few individuals named as plaintiffs in the complaint and not for the rest of the group.
The vast majority of class action cases are settled if they are certified or if the defendant believes they will be. The class members are notified of the proposed settlement and given an opportunity to join in or object to its terms. Some types of class actions require that you send in an "opt-in" form to join. For others, you're in if you do nothing. After the class members respond to the proposed settlement, a court determines whether the settlement is fair and reasonable.
In recent years, some politicians and legal pundits have become increasingly vehement in their criticism of plaintiffs' attorneys who specialize in class actions, because of the many highly publicized settlements that seem to result in a windfall for the attorneys and little benefit for the harmed plaintiffs. Attorney's fees for class actions are usually a percentage of the common fund set up to compensate the class. The lawyers sometimes walk away with millions of dollars in fees, while individual class members receive small amounts or coupons. It is misleading, however, to compare the lawyer's fees to the individual recoveries in class actions, because the lawyer represents the whole class. In judging fairness, courts look at the relationship of the fee to the value of the overall recovery.
On the other hand, some attorneys may overreach and rush into a settlement that isn't good for the class. Overworked courts sometimes do not examine class settlements closely enough. Here are some things to look for in the fine print when you are reviewing a class settlement:
  • Does the notice tell the amount of the attorney's fee or its percentage of the overall settlement? Nondisclosure is a red flag.
  • Has the defendant agreed not to challenge class counsel's attorney's fees? Such "clear sailing" agreements are common, but combined with other factors may signal that the defendant is getting a better deal than the class.
  • Did the settlement come fast on the heels of the complaint being filed, with little or no investigation by class counsel? The notice should summarize the investigation.
  • Is the release of claims broader than the wrongdoings claimed in the original lawsuit? For example, if the action only covered one of the company's products, you shouldn't have to release all claims against the company in the settlement.
  • Does the class member get any real benefit from the settlement? Sometimes benefits are intangible but worthwhile, such as when a company agrees to stop polluting. But if the complaint claimed money damages, class members should be wary of settlements in which only the lawyers get paid. "Coupon settlements" for money off the next purchase are often criticized, but can be valuable if the coupon gives a good discount on a desired product.
The main benefit of class actions is that they level the playing field when individuals join together to take on a big company. The main danger is that if class actions are handled irresponsibly, class members can lose more than they gain.

Latest resources

Back