• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATR Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I miss the ATR...5000+ hours on her at ASA. Yes, in strong winds, it's like a kite. My highest right off the wing...30G42k. My legs were shaking and my left wrist/arm were burning. Couldn't even read the airspeed...it was all over the place...I just flew the pitch attitude I wanted.

Ah...good old days...now everything is fly-by-wire and hydrauliclly boosted. When I went from capt on the ATR to capt on the CRJ200, I over controlled the hell out of the sim for the first few sessions. The ATR was like riding a bucking horse.

ATR in a 30knt crosswind, it'll but hair on your chest...

It flies just like a large 182. Just keep flying it until you have the power cart plugged in, and everything will be fine.

I suspect I'm a better pilot for starting out on the ATR versus starting out on the jet. I have a LOT to learn yet, but I'm pretty comfortable flying the A/C by hand.

CFI2766...I agree. Flying the ATR will definately make you a better stick in the end as long as you're on it long enough to learn and finess it.

HA...and then the brakes...they're like a box of chocolates...when you press em, you never know what yer gonna get.

Plus, you'll better appreciate all the toys of a jet once there.

I went from a Metro III - to the ATR - to CRJ - to the E190.

Latest resources

Back