• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP written

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
About the expiration of the ATP written, I was having a conversation just this morning about mine, which expires in July. We pulled out the FAR's and as far as we can tell, there is no expiration, as long as you are: (1) employed by a 121, 125, or 135 carrier at the time of the practical, and (2) that you completed that company's approved upgrade training program.

Could somebody else confirm this so that I can continue to breathe easy?

5-O

Make sure your POI signs it, to prove you are employeed at an air carrier prior to the expiration.

I used one of the schools and would do it again. It was very painless and quick.

SEL ATP

Think about taking your SEL ATP after you take the written, it was the easiest check ride I ever took, did it a G- Tiger, fixed gear, fixed pitch. This means you never have to take the written again, you get to put ATP on your resume, and save all of the expense getting your MEL ATP, which really means nothing. The first time you take a type you get your MEL ATP.

I had been flying 135 for about 6 months and thought the same thing. The ATP. I bought a Gleim and sat down and set up a schedule and a date to take the test. I studied for about two weeks and took the test the next time I was on a trip. Honestly I could of studied for about a weekend and passed the test. If you are using your skills it is an easy test. Basically a glorified comm and inst. test that you have already taken. The Cross country I just try and meemorized and did what I did to pass them. If you work one of the problems you will see how rediculously long they are and they use methods you don't ever use anymore. So many new things to get the same answer. And the answers were so close if you made one calc error you could easily guess the wrong answer anyways. So put something together that helps you remember them. It seem like it is overwhelming but really it isn't. The W&B I thought were easy. But then again I have to do them everytime I fly for Cargo. I enjoyed some of the weight transfer questions and stopping distance info. So that sunk in to my head real nice.
Get it done and you will thank yourself later on.
I am taking my ATP flight test and 135 mid year check ride at the same time. Get it done for free and I won't ever have to think about it again. Until I become a captain.

What kind of scores have you guys been getting? Some of the allATPs guys have mentioned easy high 90s. But I'm staring guiltily across the room at a big red Gleim book, and wondering what my competition is. I'm age limited for the practical, so it's likely I'll have to interview with the test report and score in hand.

If you have the motivation to study, I would recommend getting the Gleim computer software. I bought the book, but did not have the motivation to read it. It is now sitting on my bookshelf. I felt the computer software was the easiest for me, simply because thats how the test was gonna be and it seemed much faster to go through all the questions. I had the software for about a year and never looked at it. I started studying when everyone started hiring and when i started sending out my resumes. In the end however, I ended up paying for the All ATP course, because I got a sudden interview. Think it was $200-$300. Don't remember. Anyway, having the written done wasn't a requirement for the interview, but it was required before the start of ground school at AWAC. But I paid to get it done because I felt it would have looked better for the interview. If you dont have the motivation to study on your own, and you have the $$ i would recommend the ATP course. They narrow the questions down from the 1500 or so down to like 500 i think. was really easy to study. ended up getting like a high 90. either way, i think it would be a good idea to have it done bfore an interview.

Last edited:
I just took my ATP written in March and I used Lone Eagle off of the web. The prep cost $175 and the FAA test cost $80. Lone Eagle sends you a guide book and you get 20 hours of an online "prep" course. I studied for a day and a half and got a 98. I would highly suggest spending the money, but I am a military guy and I am not intimately familiar with the FARs. Lone Eagle boils down the FAA database to about 500 questions - similar to All ATPs, but you get to study at home and take the test near your house (at a testing site); instead of travelling to an All ATP site. Look it up www.loneeaglefaaprep.com
Like I said, I put in maybe 8 hours of good study and got a 98. Well worth the $255

I'll throw another pitch in for All ATP's. Just call them, pick a date, put forth a minimal amount of prep time, go there and take the test in one day and get it over with! The before test prep is just memorizing answers for the long w&b and cargo problems. Unless you are one of super motivation and can sit down religiously to study Gleim or King or whatever, I believe the ATP school is the way to go.

I'm seriously thinking about doing the AllATP's test this next week but am having a hard time biting the bullet. How crazy would I be to not even crack the book and just walk in the day of and get it done. The reason I say this is because I don't have the time to study at all. I'm flying my @ss off and I hope to have an interview next month.

So, am I crazy to just walk in with just CFI experience and expect to do well on the test?

Latest resources

Back