Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

celloman

Hello Guys and Gals,

I am starting the task of studying for my ATP... or at least thinking about it. I have two questions.

1) What study guides/books would you recommend? I used the Gleim when I was in flight school and they worked ok. I am just wondering if anything better is around.

2) Are there any good ATP prep courses? I know ATP offers one are there any other places? Did you go to them? What did you think? Was it worth the money?

Thanks,

celloman

I used the gleim computer study guide, very good. I also have the ASA test prep book both will get you a good score. I got a 98

Don't waste your time and money on ATP's test prep.

off topic

if you were running checks for a while and its time to take atp written, do you need an endorsment for it, and who do you get it from?
could you sign yourself for it if CFI was still current?

You do not need any endorsement for the first try of your ATP.

If you don't pass, you'll need an endorsement for a second try.

I used the Gleim software from a few years ago, and then bought a book to study on the road and compare current questions to the old. Ended up with a score in the mid 90's. I like the Gleim software because it helped me to focus and study each unit all the way through and then would score it so I could see how I did. If I wanted to review only the quesitons I missed on the last study session, I could do that. With the book I felt like I could get distracted too easily. Since I see you are a CFI, I was able to get a discount on the CD test prep from Gleim by telling them I was a CFI. Don't know if they still do that or not but it is worth a shot. From what people have told me about the ATP prep, it sounds like they just sit you in front of a computer and study the most popular questions asked on the test.

here's your answer

Check out the following link.

http://www.sheppardair.com/

The material is laser-guided and it really cuts down on the study time. just follow the directions and recommended study times.. (I aced it)

For those who don't know, these sheppard guys narrow down the test bank to about 650 questions.

good luck

Dude,

Don't waste your money on prep stuff!! go to the bar on friday, study on satrday and take the test on sunday! it's a joke!

Then after you get back home with your 90% or better score, read the books again and try to UNDERSTAND what it’s about instead of just memorizing the answers. Also, if you wan’t some good reading material read “aerodynamics for navel aviators”, “Weather explained” from Jeppesen and “Handling the big Jets” from Davids.

FD

Last edited:
I used the Gleim book and Gleim test prep software, studied for a couple days with them and did fairly well.

Latest resources

Back