ATP Written Expiration?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PA31Ho

I took the ATP written probably a good 3-4 years ago. At the time, I was Part 121, but I have been back and forth between 121 and 91 since. Did it expire when I left the 121 job for the part 91 job?

The reason I ask is because I'm 121 now but leaving for 135 and have to do a 135 type ride in the Hawker. Do I need to retake the damn thing?

Thanks!

My understanding is that it never expires if it is current when hired on at a 121. It is still good even after 2 years if you are still employed with the carrier. Once you leave the carrier and go elsewhere, it automatically expires.

If it was more than 2 years when you moved over to 91, then it is most likely expired.

Honestly, I don't understand why some guys don't go out and drop the loot on their ATP when they hit 1500 at a 121. Waiting for an upgrade ride to clinch the certificate seems silly, especially in light of long upgrades and potential furloughs.

It's all in the wording of the regs. People always use the expired term wrong... It expires after 2 years, period.... However you may use an expired ATP written for a transition or upgrade program for 135 or 121! Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
I guess what I'm trying to get at is:

I took the ATP Written 6/8/2005. Then I went to Piedmont Airlines. Quit there a year later, went and flew part 91 for a year. On May 31, 2007 (still within 2 years), I went to Shuttle America. With a furlough coming on Sept. 9, I will be leaving for a Part 135 company and going back to school for the Hawker type. For an ATP cert, do I need to retake the ATP Written, or is it still good?

Here is the pertinent reg (Part 61.39)
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:
(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved—
(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and
(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or
So, in your case, at the time you take the practical test (check ride) will you be in the employ of a 121 or 135 operator?
Will you have completed their training for PIC qualification in the aircraft in which you will take your practical?

If so, your written can be expired and that's OK. The way I read your situation is that you will not have completed any employers PIC program in the Hawker so you will need to retake for your ATP practical.

Last edited:
Oh great! That's good to know! I was afraid I'd have to memorize those w/b answers for that test again.. phew... I'm too lazy for that

Thanks!

Okay the way I read it was since I WILL be doing a 135 PIC I won't have to retake... hmmm

I thought you were taking a Hawker ride as part of Simuflite's training. Simuflight isn't a part 135 operator. Are you saying that you will be going through your new Part 135 operator's training program or Simuflight's?

The new employee is part 135 op that is sending me to SimuFlite for the HS125 recurrent upgrade.

Latest resources

Back