Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DAS at 10/250

Coffee, captain?
Does the 121 ATP Written supercede the 135 written?

Does a record of which exam you took show up on the PRIA?

I'm 91 corp for a while, 121 years later if SWA will offer a job. I really don't feel like learning 72/737 EPR, etc. while flying a 'Joe. The 1900 stuff looks more applicable down the road with a King Air.

Suggestions, comments, scoldings appreciated.

P.S. Did the search, no luckie for those who want to post "Do a search dumba@@ it's been answered a 1000 times!"

I don't believe you can take a written test twice, assuming you passed the first time.

Also, 135 or 121, it's an ATP written. I can guarantee that an employer won't care which one you took, nor could they really -- since you passed it you can't take it over again.

Take whichever you're more familiar with. If you're undecided, take the 121, it won't hurt. Just memorize the performance/w&b questions anyway.

No difference

Our FAA POI has given a number of ATP rides under 121 to pilots with a 135 ATP written test.

ATP Written

It makes no difference to your examiner which ATP written you take. Take the one that is easiest for you. The only thing that matters to an employer who wants applicants to have the ATP is that you have yours. The employer could care less which written you took.

Good luck with the ATP written.

Last edited:
when does a atp written expire

hi guys

i took my atp written about 2 years ago, does it ever expire. i heard if you have a job as a first officer or a 135 job , the written is valid still.

any input
peace

All ATP's dosent even offer the 135 written, if that tells you anything ;)

wingnutt said:
All ATP's dosent even offer the 135 written, if that tells you anything ;)

Nope doesn't say anything. Pilot mills are going to pick one, not both. It makes it easier and faster to churn out the pilots.

Written does not expire at 135

If you have continuous employment at a 121 or 135 certificate holder with employment starting before your ATP written expires it is good fas long as you are employed at that company. Some POI's will allow for breaks in employment, but it cann not be counted upon. Another option is go take your ATP checkride in a SEL, it was the easiest check ride I ever took. I know the SEL ATP does not open many doors, but you nevertake the written angain and you can put ATP on your resume. Then the first time you take a MEL type rating your ATP becomes a MEL ATP.

There is no doubt. It doesn't matter which one you take. I don't even think the written results say which one you take. The only reason there are two versions is that the FAA figured it wouldn't be fair to ask an upgrading King Air FO questions about the 727, just as it wouldn't be fair to ask a guy who had only flown heavies king air questions. That's all. It really doesn't matter.

Pilotyip,
I'm interested in your source for the "...continuous employment at a 121 or 135 certificate holder with employment starting before your ATP written expires..." part.

As I read part 61 it only states:
...to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must: (among other things) Pass the required knowledge test within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a certificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved (training program).

Latest resources

Back