ATP Ride (part 91 GA)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a review:

All ATP exams are conducted using Part 61. Parts 91/121/125/135 are not airman certification CFR's. Now, that said any TYPE ride, or Air Carrier PIC check is basically an ATP exam. A DE/Inspector can conduct the Air carrier check ride in addition to the ATP exam and if required a Type ride. A Stright ATP exam will not cover company procedures, or TYPE rating questions. Make sure the DE/Inspector knows BEFORE (as much in advance as possible) the check ride what qualifications/ratings/certificates you are going for. It can affect the requirements and planning of the test and what your certificate will look like when you are done.

IMHO the best way to do this is to get the 135/121 check with a TYPE rating and an ATP exam all at the same time. It is the same check ride. Your written test results are good as long as you go through the air carrier upgrade training.

Multiple failures are old school macho crap that is not found in reality and not part of the PTS. Any one who does this in the aircraft needs to read the NTSB reports of the many training/checking crashes that have occured. There have been too many accidents and near accidents to be screwing around in the aircraft. I think this type of training is good in a simulator but not during a check ride or in the aircraft.

Im climbing down from my soap box now.

JAFI

indianboy7 said:
My advice would be to practice in a frasca, or the airplane if you can afford it, beforehand if you have access to one, it will definitely help.
Thanks indianboy, that's exactly what I was looking for. Our school lets us use their B58's free of charge for practice and for the checkride - so that won't be a problem. I was just looking some realistic things to practice and look over.

thanks!
~wheelsup

ATP Ride

wheelsup said:
Anyone had any experience with the ATP checkride with a DE? Looking for info/experience with taking a checkride in a baron part 61/91 (not 121 or 135 "upgrades").
Don't you have an examiner or two with whom you could speak at MAPD? You are still there, aren't you?

In any event, an ATP practical is really just a souped-up instrument practical, and will be conducted the same as any practical by a DE. Do be prepared to answer questions about your B58. Know your charts, wx, regs, etc. I've heard of examiners who ask ATP applicants to plan instrument cross-countries. Do be proficient enough to fly to standards. Get plenty of practice beforehand. Other than that, an ATP ride isn't that bad.

I second the recommendation to be familiar with the ATP-Type Rating PTS. I also second and appreciate JAFI's comments about throwing multiple, ridiculous emergencies and abnormal situations at applicants during checkrides. It's great for training, but real examiners just don't do it during flights.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your ATP.

Last edited:
details, details...:p

Fortunately I haven't had to thank the Lord yet for self examining authority at my school....emphasis on yet...I have a bad feeling about the CSEL ride...

-mini
That is good, I too haven't failed one(knock on wood), Though one of my students tested the system for me. They are an interesting shade of pink, kinda a salmon colored. Goodluck on the CSEL, dont Psych your self out before hand.

wmuflyguy said:
That is good, I too haven't failed one(knock on wood), Though one of my students tested the system for me. They are an interesting shade of pink, kinda a salmon colored. Goodluck on the CSEL, dont Psych your self out before hand.
Thanks...its those **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** steep spirals...haven't done one yet, but from what I hear its just a turn about a point with a descent...which sucks bc my "turn about a point" was more like "egg shaped parabola around a point that kept moving"...

-mini

wheelsup,

If I am reading into bobbysamd's reply correctly and assuming that you are at the MAPD program then make sure you know the plane well and everything else prior to taking the ride. Not sure if you are a CFI there or not but those who come to Farmington for the "guaranteed" interview upon successful completion of the ATP ride must pass on the first attempt in order to interview in PHX. Those who bust and pass on attempt number two will not be given the interview and from what I understand and have heard from a friend who is former Mesa, current ATA 75, and who does crj sim training at MAPD on his days off is that the failure rate is quite high and most don't realize that you must pass it on the first time around to get to PHX. If you are a CFI there I would inquire about what "negative" result that this may or may not cause you when your 12 months of CFI service expires and you are granted the interview. If you are not at the MAPD program then disregard this entire post completely.

When John Greene was running this show you were quite the pilot if you passed on the first time around.:D

Good luck and have a nice holiday,

3 5 0

Mesa ATP "program"

350DRIVER said:
[T]he [ATP practical]failure rate is quite high . . . . When John Greene was running this show you were quite the pilot if you passed on the first time around . . . .
That is sooooo true. I instructed a few of those students when I worked at MAPD in 1993 - when John Green was Chief Instructor. A few passed, but it seemed that more failed. Of course, this was an early Mesa pay-for-interview scheme that has survived - or, should I say, perpetuated itself.

One of the DEs was an ex-Mesa Chief Pilot and check airman, who later, ahem, crossed-over to Freedom last year when it started.

eh...forgot about the stalls....landing stall, departure stall and a clean stall...all turning....that plus the other stuff...

Latest resources

Back