• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP Ride (part 91 GA)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Minitour - definitely look over the PTS before your next checkride. There are limits to what the examiner can do and what failure(s) are allowed. What happens in a training environment can be a lot different than what happens on a checkride, ATP or otherwise.

minitour said:
Could it have been people trying to freak me out? Sure...I'm kinda gullable too so it's possible.

Be Safe!

-mini

Like the day before my checkride when a friend said "I heard he asks what the VOR ranges are."

I was like WTF? I don't remember learning any of that. So I ran home and studied all this stuff about navaids... and realized I'd been had :p

Guitar Guy said:
Minitour - definitely look over the PTS before your next checkride. There are limits to what the examiner can do and what failure(s) are allowed. What happens in a training environment can be a lot different than what happens on a checkride, ATP or otherwise.
...exactly why I was ready to call the feds. I thought I busted for something not on the checkride (in reality I didn't)...

Not sure about the ATP pts...which is why I put the disclaimer in my previous posts...

-mini

350Driver..................just been reading the ASA oral and I would assume that for the 91 one could skip over most of the 135/121 type questions? Like most of Hayes books there is always a ton of stuff that you couldn't possibly be asked.

I dont know what DE Minitour was referring to but that seems a little much for an ATP ride and also all those failures at one time seem a bit much. Most DEs I have used and the one I did my ATP with were very straight foward . They normally dont fail more than two systems at once.An ATP ride is basically a Commercial Instrument ride with smaller tolerances so dont dread it. I couldnt sleep at all the night before mine and it turned out to be the easiest ride I had ever taken just one hour ground and .9 flight. Good luck'

The other thing is, the FAA approved the course and the checkride...plus it's a 141 ride so you can't really "pink"...

You can pink on a 141 checkride.

If the place giving the training has self-examining authority, then the checkride is given in house, that is when there is no "pink" slips. If you fail the school jsut "holds on" to the 8710 until the student passes.

Many 141 schools do not have self-examining authority, mine being one of them, and believe me if you fail you get a pink slip, fill out another 8710, and repay the DE.

wheelsup said:
Yeah, I realize that there is the PTS and oral guide, but I was just looking for some experiences on the ATP rides themselves.

Yeah, you can be an ATP, it's just a license (like private pilot/commercial pilot). I was looking for experiences from people who had done it not VIA an upgrade in a 121 or 135 environment.
thanks
~wheelsup
I apoligize, I read this as ATP VIA a 121/135 upgrade. I will delete mt post.
And get my eyes checked.

Judging by the level of flying skills that I see in some holders of the ATP their flight test couldn't have been very in depth.

The aviation culture seems to attract people that think flying is some kind of exotic science, when it is nothing more than operating a piece of machinery that travels through the air rather than on the water or over the land....

Cat Driver.

Took my ATP checkride this past Tuesday......The oral consisted of questions on every system in the airplane. . . then he asked me about descending below DH/MDA......that was it...the flight consisted of 2 ils's, one was normal followed by a landing, the other one was single engine with a single engine go around....then went on to do a full vor circling approach, and then a GPS approach followed by a missed.....then went out did some steep turns, unusual attitudes and holding....that was it......the examiner asked some pretty tough questions and was doing his best to get me distracted and flusterd during the flight.....My advice would be to practice in a frasca, or the airplane if you can afford it, beforehand if you have access to one, it will definitely help.

wmuflyguy said:
You can pink on a 141 checkride.

If the place giving the training has self-examining authority, then the checkride is given in house, that is when there is no "pink" slips. If you fail the school jsut "holds on" to the 8710 until the student passes.

Many 141 schools do not have self-examining authority, mine being one of them, and believe me if you fail you get a pink slip, fill out another 8710, and repay the DE.
details, details...:p

Fortunately I haven't had to thank the Lord yet for self examining authority at my school....emphasis on yet...I have a bad feeling about the CSEL ride...

-mini

Latest resources

Back