ATP Rating programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instructor93,
I agree with you, why would you want the mel ATP, well except if you want a job with ACA, as I think they required it. I met an AA captain who had a single engine ATP, and he said he did it just to keep the written current. Of course, if you work for a 121 operation, that isn't a problem. I don't understand why someone who is going to get a type and captain checkride would spend the money for either. Perhaps if he didn't have a job, and wanted to not have to take the written again. I personally don't want to learn how to fly a Seminole again, as I will be a captain soon and will get it for free in an aircraft I know well.

Oh well, to each his own. ATP is a good program, but it's mainline geared for military guys who don't know much about civilian aviation. It gets them their civilian credentials so they can apply to the airlines. I think there are better ways for us civilian types, at least for the ATP. Hope this helps, and good luck to all.

ALL ATPS is a good program - did mine there in spring of '00 at the Manassas, VA location.

The price DOES NOT include examiner's fees which can add ALOT!! I don't remember exactly but I believe I paid around $350 or $375 to the examiner for the checkride! I know other locations have cheaper examiners but I chose that location so I could stay with friends so it was offset - just keep that in mind when you budget your money for the rating.

CL

Single-engine ATP

I know that a lot of people get a single-engine ATP if their written is about to expire, and keeping your written current afterwards is moot. I agree with the above to the extent that, yeah, you can say you hold an ATP, and if the commuter's requirements demand the ATP you can say that you've met the requirements. However, you sometimes have to read between the lines. What they really mean is they want an ATP multi.

I appreciate Instructor 93's point of view, but, unfortunately, H.R. doesn't always see things the same way. They expect to see "ATP Multiengine" on your resume, and if they see "ATP Single Engine," you've just confused them because they don't always see that. Those are the people you have to get past first, and most of them can't think. Just some more food for thought.

Latest resources

Back