ATP ME LAND to ATP SE SEA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
avbug said:
Which, building on what Andy said, consists only of those items that are class related, as you already hold the category for that certificate level. In other words, the examiner could only require you to demonstrate instrument skills and water skills, and be done, with you having already acomplished everything else. However, in most cases, the examiner will require (and has the discretion to require) that you demonstrate full ATP competency in the aircraft. He or she may select whatever requirements from the practical test standards that he or she deems necessary to ensure that adequate representation of the various tasks has been accomplished to prove that you meet the requirements.

Why, may I ask, are you seeking ATP single engine privileges...of all things, in a seaplane? Commercial sea will more than suffice. I'm not trying to discourage you...seek all the training you can handle or afford, by all means. But what benifit is to be gained for higher certification than the commercial for single engine sea?

Could there be some insurance benefits associated with the ATP, especially in say something like a Caravan?

Probably. Like I said, I don't discourage anybody from seeking higher training or certification. Every bit of training can enhance one as an aviator, regardless of w(h)eather it's lighter than air, glider, or skydiving...it makes you a better aviator (or at least, has the potential to do so).

For practical purposes, I don't imagine the poster would see any real diference in the practical test, regardless of w(h)eather he or she attempts for the commercial or ATP level of certification. There's really no harm in it, as as you pointed out, insurance may be a benifit, as well as possibly a distinguishing feature on a resume. In either case, good luck to the poster who's seeking the rating.

For what it's worth, on your initial SES check, the rating awarded will revert to whatever you already hold on the SEL side. So if you already hold an ATP SEL, when you take your SES check, voila. ATP SES. That's how my commercial SES worked, anyway.

hawg2hawk said:
For what it's worth, on your initial SES check, the rating awarded will revert to whatever you already hold on the SEL side. So if you already hold an ATP SEL, when you take your SES check, voila. ATP SES. That's how my commercial SES worked, anyway.

Hmmm, well it did not work that way with me but that was 20 years ago. It might have been because my SES examiner was not granted ATP DE priveleges though. It's always something. :)

DC

Guys, Thanks for all the input. I just wanted to get my Seaplane rating, and thought that I might as well go for the top dog. I have seen some jobs requiring an ATP SEA, so I thought that it might be a good idea if I decide to go that route in my retirement years.

I got an unexpected quick response from the place I intend to do my training with. They have confirmed that I will have to do the entire ATP ride. Actually not something I feel like repeating again at the moment. I think I will just settle for the Com Sea.

Thanks again for the speedy help. Fly Safe.

When I got my ATP SE sea in a Maule with floats, I had to do a complete checkride which included an ILS, an VOR approach, holding, missed approach and the water work. Most of the checkride was conducted under the hood in the Gainesville, FL area. The water work was accomplished after the instrument approaches.

Most of the oral consisted of water operations, etc. Very little oral on the instrument stuff. The ride was conducted by an ATP DE.

I came into the ride with a ATP SE and ME land.

The Maule was fully IFR equipped.

A couple of years later I took the ATP ME sea ride in a fully eqipped Twin Bee from the Flagler Beach airport (FL).

Again mostly instrument work and then the water ops.

I, too, wanted to get my ASES just for grins. La Placa Flying Service in Lake Havasu, AZ used to do one for about $1000. I'll re-attack this summer.

I rented a C-172, called up a Fed and did a ATP SE (land checkride). It's worthless on my ticket and nobody notices..... : )

Latest resources

Back