ATP Flight School Good Or Bad?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

eagle1983

Personal experience preferred but any Info will be great. ATP's 90 fast track program interested me and so did the price - 39,995 or so. PM me if you have any specifics or any info

Bad when hiring is hot, like now (because your instructor still has wet ink on his ticket and won't be much of an instructor with experience).

OK when hiring is stagnet because they are forced to stay instructing where they get some real world flying experience.

Never been there, don't know anyone personally who attended. If you do a search on this board you will find a ton of information as this has been a very popular topic.

Aside from that, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. You'll get some coveted multi-time off the bat and probably an instructor job as well. This will allow you to continually be around planes and a training environment while building up hours quickly. Eventually, you may even get to do some ME instructing as well. ATP is definitely a pilot factory, but it seems a lot of guys can get hired out of there with low TT. Beware of anything on top of the career program like that RJ training, FMS familiarization, etc. Very costly and may not really benefit you as much as them.

I know this won't help much.... but it's gotta be better than Airman. :(

MFR

I did the 90day program in dallas.

NYCpilot's post is dead on!

Great school, airplanes, I am very satisfied! I had 3 cfi job offers within 2 weeks of completing the program (230tt)

90day program was very stressfull and guys at dispatch were slave drivers. My 90 day program took 120 day cuz wx, instructors getting jobs, etc. This was common when i was there.

You wont get ripped off, you will get your ratings, you most likely will bust A checkride. (because you get the min. training and cfi's are pressured to sign you off)

If you can teach yourself whatever your cfi doesnt youll do fine there.

I reccomend doing the program in the winter so you can build up allot of actual in the instrument/xc phase.

I did my training in dallas and got to fly to some really cool places (vgt, iwa, fll, jax, ict, row) I was luckly, most people got stuck going to MLU or MEI

if you have questions pm me

also do a search there is allot of info about ATP out

oh yeah dont do the RJ or "direct track" program, too expensive and lame. But i wouldnt do a similar program at any other school.

yea, nix the direct track program, 90 days to get all your ratings.....I'm sure you can tough it out and actually instruct for a year or so (plus save $40k). A year and we'll say a half to meet most regional mins is pretty fast.

dhc8fo said:
Bad when hiring is hot, like now (because your instructor still has wet ink on his ticket and won't be much of an instructor with experience).

OK when hiring is stagnet because they are forced to stay instructing where they get some real world flying experience.

I second the above, pretty well stated. This is one flight school that I looked at quite a few years ago and glad I stayed away from it. I can't even say that I have recommended one student to attend this school. Your money would be much better spent at a different school. This is a lot of money for what may be or may not be promised, sometimes shortcuts are just that, shortcuts. You could do all plus some at a smaller no name flight school that doesn't take the glossy color ads in monthly publications. I would think long and hard about this one, it didn't take me very long when I looked at the other options that were out there and available.

Latest resources

Back