ATP & ExpressJet Newhires!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tram said:
So let's say you have two "big timers" with oh a massive 3000 hours.. and one has a "certificate of blah blah." Who are you going to hire.. The guy with the cert..
I think some of you guys need to get over yourselves.. You get on here just to argue with someone..

First off, lighten up Francis.

Second, it may be a while for you, but just imagine, if you will. YOU are a Captain at XYZ, better yet, a NEW Captain at XYZ. The weather at dep is crappy, the weather at dest is crappy, you are flying out of LGA/ORD/EWR/SFO, ect with an overly complex departure procedure, to top it off, the special engine out dep procedure makes your head hurt trying to read it. The guy/girl next to you is brand new, on reserve, maybe hasn't flown in a while becuase he/she is on reserve and now has a grand total of 525 hours (25 OE). Tell me what your YOUR comfort/confidence level would be? Are you getting the point?

It's nothing personal, most 500 hour pilots do just fine, some don't. In my new hire class 2 washed out. Any one of us would take advantage of the opportunity if we had the chance. I'd personally rather have someone sitting next to me in the above situation with a little more experience than 300 dual given in a light twin from ATP/RAA, ect.

The factory flight schools could probably be teaching these people about things that make good airline pilots. Things like how to strategically bid so that one week of vacation wipes out three trips and still get paid for min garauntee, or what time to call scheduling to make sure you get released and can go home instead of being their biatch.

Taking their money and giving them a piece of paper that says "look, I can push buttons and stuff, and I paid a grand to learn how, even though you are going to teach me the same thing" is silly.

I tell ya what, why don't you go back to post #17 and re-read the very first line..

I am not a 500 hour pilot.. nor am I a 3000 hour pilot.. Sometimes it's just funny to see all the guys on this board who are this and who are that and have x, y and z amounts of time bash on people because they are low time and are trying to get a job.. A 500 hour pilot looking for work is automatically the SJS poster child.. Which, in some cases is true, and in others it's not... I think I'd personally rather fly a Shorts 360 than an RJ.. I barley have 1K hours.. I am a low time guy to you and I could learn from you, I'm sure.. You are a (if your profile is correct) 3000 hour pilot.. You are a low time pilot and could learn alot from some 6000 hour pilot.. and so on and so on.. It just really gets old to see people busting on low time guys because they're trying to move up their career - just like every single pilot on this whole entire board has done..

Once more, I've already stated I think 500 hours to sit right seat is low.. In the situation you described I would much rather have a higer time person..

I also agree that paying $5K for the course is crazy.. and.. again.. have stated several times I would not do it..

All I tried to say is that it is possibly something that could put a guy's resume in a different "stack" than anothers..

I have thought about taking the course, simply because it would have been NICE not to touch and FMS for the first time in training, it would have been NICE not to have to learn how to read a speed tape for the first time in training.. However, I got to do that for free a few weeks ago, so I am reconsidering..

*EDIT* Also, I think the Regionals are getting sick of hiring 500 hour guys.. I just had two friends go to an ExpressJet Interview and neither got the job.. Out of 20 people they chose 3, but hiring is comming to a close there, I've been hearing..

Last edited:
Tram,

Any possibility of getting an MEI job at ATP if I do the ME/Comm/IFR rating and MEI with them, or do they just hire guys who went through the entire course?

Yeh.. there is a possibility..

Their hiring sorta goes like this..

First - Airline Career Pilot Course Grads
Second - Total Instructor CFI Grads
Third - MEI/MEII Grads
Fourth - Others..

In my new hire class there were 3 - ACP grads and 2 other guys.. 1 did the Total Instructor program and 1 did just the MEI..

BoilerUP said:
But you'll have a leg up with your FMS certification!

Which is very important, because there is no teaching of the FMS in groundschool with Expressjet, plus you get that shinny new phrase on your ratings section of your license, "I paid way to much money to learn to type on an FMS box." :) Do people really pay them to learn how to use the FMS on a CRJ? What a freakin' joke.

EB

ExpressJet Newhires!

Sounds like a good idea,go pay for FMS training on your parents money on the possibility that you might get a job.Better idea, why don't you pay FlightSafety to train you on the aircraft before you go to the interview.When will this nonsense of paying for your own training ever stop!

Last edited:
pilotman121 said:
This sounds like a classic example of pay for your job training,it is sad when pilots are willing to do this for $20,000 a year.

It won't take long for reality to sink and the shiny jet syndrome (SJS) to start to wear off while being EWR based, eating noodles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, making peanuts per pay check, and sharing a crash pad with 10 other people. Unless of course mommy and daddy are still paying the bills and giving you monthly allowances and if that is the case then guess life is good!. Some will always be naive to be willing to fork cash over for this training when it isn't needed in the first place to get hired at ExpressJet or any other regional airline for that matter.

dojetdriver said:
Who would I hire? At 500 hours? Neither, If was up to me I don't even think I would call them interview. I'd hold out for a guy (or girl) without shiny jet syndrome with more experience who has spent more time in this industry.

Probably furloughed pilots.

You'll be holding out for a long time. Why do you think the mins are so low these days? Because no one with experience is applying. The regionals wouldn't be able to staff their airlines.

And I know you're gonna come back with "increase compensation and they will come". Sure they will. But why would an airline do this if instead of increasing $$, they can just lower mins...

~wheelsup

ExpressJet Newhires!

When will the low time pay for training pilots, figure out that they should still be instructing and not be a burden on captains.This is just a thought and probably above most of there heads!

Latest resources

Back