ATP & ExpressJet Newhires!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
You're completely right. And what about the CRJ FTD thing? Does any airline even give a crap? Or is it just a total waste of money?

Waste of money.

Even if you were hired by a CRJ operator, you've still got to go through their ground school/training. Use the money you save on CRJ FTD time to pay the rent, buy a car, take the lady out, go golfing...anything!

-mini

minitour said:
Waste of money.

Even if you were hired by a CRJ operator, you've still got to go through their ground school/training. Use the money you save on CRJ FTD time to pay the rent, buy a car, take the lady out, go golfing...anything!

-mini

Hmm, instruct 12 more months or pay $1k (for current ATP instructors) and get hired on at Expresjet with 500 TT.

I'd take the $1k hit for a job. Call me PFT'er, but you make more your first year as an f/o than most people do instructing, especially at ATP @ $1000/month.

~wheelsup

What is somewhat funny to me - is that alot of people on this board are against it, however, the airlines actually like it.. It shows them that you have already passed a "course" on similar equipment, thus making you easier to train in their eyes..

Would I do it for the $5K or whatever, no..
Would I do it for the $1K they give it to the instructors for, yes..

However, the ExpressJet Hiring Bus is slowing.. I know of 3 ATP instructors who all went to XJ interviews this week and out of 20 people there - they took 3.. All higher (previous turbine expirence) guys..

Tram said:
What is somewhat funny to me - is that alot of people on this board are against it, however, the airlines actually like it.. It shows them that you have already passed a "course" on similar equipment, thus making you easier to train in their eyes..

The sad part is, guys who never had the training or paid for it seem to make it through training just like the idots that forked over the money.

Yeh, that is true, I have talked to alot of guys who thought it helped, I have also talked to those who said it didn't..

I have no doubt the vast majority of pilots have no trouble with making it through training.. What the idiots who forked the money for training have over the other guys is that they are there 500 hours sooner..

I've thought about doing the program simply for the "it would be nice to have a heads up, before I got to training." I guess some people like to be a little over prepared, to me it would only be $1,000 which is a small price to pay..

Look at it from an HR point of view.. I mean, what if 2 equally qualified guys come to the same interview, they are both very personable.. 100% equal on all that - but 1 guy has a small certificate that says "Satisfactorily Completed Regional Jet Standards Course" Who are you gonna hire?

I also don't expect to sit right seat in an RJ at 500 hours.. so I'm not saying the course is the best idea, I wouldn't pay $5K for it..

Tram said:
Look at it from an HR point of view.. I mean, what if 2 equally qualified guys come to the same interview, they are both very personable.. 100% equal on all that - but 1 guy has a small certificate that says "Satisfactorily Completed Regional Jet Standards Course" Who are you gonna hire?

Who would I hire? At 500 hours? Neither, If was up to me I don't even think I would call them interview. I'd hold out for a guy (or girl) without shiny jet syndrome with more experience who has spent more time in this industry.

Probably furloughed pilots.

Last edited:
Yeh, I personally think 500 hours to be sitting right seat at a 121 carrier is a bit low..

That's not what I asked though.. So let's say you have two "big timers" with oh a massive 3000 hours.. and one has a "certificate of blah blah." Who are you going to hire.. The guy with the cert..

What's funny is you guys think a 500 hour guy who wants a job, automatically has SJS..

I think some of you guys need to get over yourselves.. You get on here just to argue with someone..

ExpressJet Newhires!

This sounds like a classic example of pay for your job training,it is sad when pilots are willing to do this for $20,000 a year.

Yeh, I guess paying $300 for some ATP prep is probably pay for training too...

dojetdriver- Who would I hire? At 500 hours? Neither, If was up to me I don't even think I would call them interview. I'd hold out for a guy (or girl) without shiny jet syndrome with more experience who has spent more time in this industry.

Thank you!!!!!

Latest resources

Back