Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JediNein

No One Special at all
Well, maybe not fun, but is there any major drawbacks to earning an ATP if you don't intend to grace the doors of an airline, especially 121 operations?

Are ATP holders held to a higher standard than CFIs in FAA enforcement actions?

Does Starbucks charge more for their coffee if they know you hold the cert versus the lowly commercial guys?

Is there any law that prevents earning the ATP-single in a 152 (in 15 minute increments due to fuel concerns)?

Or is earning the ATP one of those things that feels great the day you get it, then after you sleep for 16 hours from the checkride, nobody cares?

I'm looking to do something other than the usual BFR/WINGS Phase this year, hence the certificate.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Quick question....what does the ATP checkride consist of anyway????

It is much more useful than a Master CFI, or gold seal.

Will help you out on insurance if you own your own airplane.

Yes you can do an ATP in a 152, but you will be limited to single engine for the ATP. ATP is only good in whatever you got it n (ie. Single or Multi) Meaning that I hold an ATP for Multi, but only Commercial privledges in singles.

Checkride should be a no brainer for you, you took one the last time you did Citation recurrent(per your profile).

And yes, other than possible insurance help, the ATP falls into the same catagory as Gold seal CFI etc......nobody but your insurance man or 121 and 135 POI cares!!

One side note, if you plan on doing any PIC pt 135 in a jet, you wil need the ATP.(referencing your c 500 type)

Last edited:
pgcfii2002 said:
Quick question....what does the ATP checkride consist of anyway????
If you are lucky, you can do your ATP rating with your initial type rating, with maybe an extra approach or two thrown in. My ATP ride in a nutshell consisted of an abort, steep turns, a hold, i can remember how many engine failures, a GPS (circle to land), VOR, LOC, ILS, NDB, a missed, a touch n go, and operating the Garmin properly throughout the entire ride. Of course all under the hood.

Most importantly - Chicks dig ATP's. Trust me. It works. The next time you hit one in a bar, a simple "Yeah babe, not only am I a pilot, I have an ATP!" At that moment, adjust your Ray-Ban Aviators, and the girls will go beserk!

Gorilla said:
Most importantly - Chicks dig ATP's. Trust me. It works. The next time you hit one in a bar, a simple "Yeah babe, not only am I a pilot, I have an ATP!" At that moment, adjust your Ray-Ban Aviators, and the girls will go beserk!

Ha, yeah, and don't forget to take your pocket-protector off!

I actually recieved my ATP at 900TT after I did my type ride (you can do it at your next recurrent) in the Falcon 10. I called airmen cert. and they couldn't understand why I was trying to get another license that had only "commercial" on it. I still have it...kind of as a momento (but I don't carry it around...unless, of course, I'm headed to the bars :)).

Gorilla said:
I'm sure Bridgette will appreciate knowing that she can more easily pick up chicks in bars ;)

Latest resources

Back