ATP Certificate for fun?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JediNein said:
Well, maybe not fun, but is there any major drawbacks to earning an ATP if you don't intend to grace the doors of an airline, especially 121 operations?
Well, if it's not fun...have you considered doing a "fun" rating? glider...sea...powered parachute (I tried that one...I'm too afraid of heights).
Are ATP holders held to a higher standard than CFIs in FAA enforcement actions?
Other than the checkride, the "standard" is still perfection ;) I don't think ATC resets their off-course alarms based on certificates.
Does Starbucks charge more for their coffee if they know you hold the cert versus the lowly commercial guys?
No, but I've always felt that MAKING coffee should be a PTS requirement at the commercial and ATP levels...fortunately, my copilots know how to make the stuff for the pax.
Is there any law that prevents earning the ATP-single in a 152 (in 15 minute increments due to fuel concerns)?
You might double-check the PTS for the possiblity of a complex requirement...I did mine in a Bonanza, but that was simply because it was the airplane I was doing the 135 ride in.
Or is earning the ATP one of those things that feels great the day you get it, then after you sleep for 16 hours from the checkride, nobody cares?
I had to go get an hour and a half in a BE-18 to recover from the mental trauma of being an ATP
I'm looking to do something other than the usual BFR/WINGS Phase this year, hence the certificate.
As I said earlier, if you're not planning on using it, maybe look into a "fun" rating that you won't use .
Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
You too!

David

I think doing the single ATP may have some benefits. One would be if you have already taken your ATP written and you don't want that to lapse...so It would keep you from having to take the written again.

Another reason would be that if it's convenient to take the single now as opposed to the multi, you can always add on the multi later...preferably when someone else is paying for your type ride.

In my case, the single ATP can be done on my annual sim ride in a level D sim at no cost to me. So as much as people will hem and haw about how useless a single ATP is, there may be some reason it would be advantageous to do it. At least if I get the written done, I can take the ATP single ride in a sim and get that out of the way.

I got a SE ATP just so I could go to the local FBO and rent a Cessna.

I had plenty of SE time from the military, but never had it on my ticket. Had some 2 and 3 engine ATP ratings, but no SE. FBO scratched their head and talked to FAA designee who said I basically needed to go through the whole basic course, or just take a SE ATP check. Holy Crap!

Instructor didn't know exactly where to go with this, we went to the FAA site for guidelines and just built a course of a few rides (and some tabletop sim time) to get me up to speed to take the check in an 172SP. It was a blast and a challenge, especially the VOR holding. FMS airplanes lull you into near brain-dead situational awareness and basic nav, I've been on these for years.

Check airman and I had a good time. He and the instructor fly the 172 a lot better than I do, but at least I can rent one and bore holes in the sky for fun if I want. If I haven't flown it for a while, I get an instructor to jump in for a few landings just to get the rust off, plus to pick their brain on any new GAA ideas or developments.

Fugawe

MauleSkinner said:
I'm sure Bridgette will appreciate knowing that she can more easily pick up chicks in bars ;)

D'oh! :p Oh well, I'm sure some male lurkers will appreciate my advice. All one needs to complete the ATP chick-magnet package is the correct layover clothing to go with the ATP pickup lines.

Flying Illini said:
I actually recieved my ATP at 900TT after I did my type ride (you can do it at your next recurrent) in the Falcon 10. I called airmen cert. and they couldn't understand why I was trying to get another license that had only "commercial" on it. I still have it...kind of as a momento (but I don't carry it around...unless, of course, I'm headed to the bars :)).

All right hotshot... I'm calling you on this one. You took your ATP with 900TT? It Since the FAA requires you to have 1500TT, I find that hard to believe. FAR 61.159(a): "...a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1500 hours total time..."

It's 1200TT for rotorcraft. You're a bit shy there... Perhaps you got away with it because some examiner dropped the ball... if that's the case, I sure as heck wouldn't be airing it publicly.

The flying wasn't like the comm at all, it was all under the hood.

+ Bragging rights, possibly lower insurance, job opportunities
- yes, higher standards expected in the event of a violation or tfr incursion
- anytime you fly with other pilots even in the back seat of a 172, YOU are da man, you take any heat.

Flyerjosh said:
All right hotshot... I'm calling you on this one. You took your ATP with 900TT? It Since the FAA requires you to have 1500TT, I find that hard to believe. FAR 61.159(a): "...a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1500 hours total time..."

It's 1200TT for rotorcraft. You're a bit shy there... Perhaps you got away with it because some examiner dropped the ball... if that's the case, I sure as heck wouldn't be airing it publicly.

You usta-could (Jeff Foxworthy word) get a letter of ability, competency or something of that nature for your ATP. All you had to do when you turned 23 was show up at the FSDO and they'd hand you a shiny new ATP certificate. I don't know if this was limited to age (The situations I've all heard of were the applicants were under 23) or could be a flight experience thing. The underage people I heard of all had the time.

I don't know if you still might-could but it usta-could.

GravityHater said:
The flying wasn't like the comm at all, it was all under the hood.

+ Bragging rights, possibly lower insurance, job opportunities
- yes, higher standards expected in the event of a violation or tfr incursion
- anytime you fly with other pilots even in the back seat of a 172, YOU are da man, you take any heat.

Uh oh...so when I rode on an RJ that busted P-56 and the FAA sent me a letter saying I was under investigation they were really serious? I better look up some phone numbers!

Thanks guys!

Timing won't allow the glider rating just yet, soon... soon. It's on my list.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back