ATP acting as CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ty737

my boss is getting a tbm-850 and he will need 25 hrs of dual for his insurance. can i give him the instruction with only an ATP (i DO NOT have a CFI rating)?

No. I believe it applies only to certificated carriers with approved in-house training. TC

It's purely an underwriting question - a condition for policy coverage from an underwriter. The owner's insurance agent can contact the company and get an ok or no on the pilot offering the training.

It's purely an underwriting question - a condition for policy coverage from an underwriter. The owner's insurance agent can contact the company and get an ok or no on the pilot offering the training.
An insurancee requirement NEVER trumps the regs. The ATP can always sit there in the right seat and babysit the pilot, but in order for the ATP to legally sign off the log book as dual given, specific conditions must be met which are set forth by the governing FARs, not the underwriter. The underwriter can set forth requirements in addition to the FARs, but that's about the extent of it.
Also, does this ATP have a SINGLE ENGINE LAND ATP? If the ATP just holds an ME ATP, then the answer is right there.

HawkerF/O is right, my answer assumed 25 hr requirement was solely to get coverage and the "dual" rec'd was whatever dual the underwriter wanted, e.g maybe from JC, Bob Hoover or whomever.

Type rated ATPs can only give dual in approved 121 programs.

135 also. Pilot needs to be designated as a Company Flight Instructor and is renewed every 2 years during a checkride or a Fed observes instruction given.

Mavrk is correct about the 135 too. Thats exactly what I am and how I stay current. I don't have to be a "company flight instructor", just check airman and training Capt. Thats how it works at my company at least.

Latest resources

Back