• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlas/Southern/Kalitta > Fedex?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not one single pilot has left FedEx for any other company since I've been here.

I think a lot of guys on this board have some serious misconceptions about FedEx or they are trying to justify their choices to themselves.

As good as "you guys" have it then why is it that all you do is b*tch and moan?

You don't know how good you do have it. Compared to the ACMI operators you guys are definitely under-worked and over-paid.

Guess the rest of us are all jealous, good for you guys. You should count your blessings.

Of course it could be construed by us on the outside looking in that you have to pay some kind of penance for that kind of bounty. Just what would that be? Those of us on the outside have some ideas.

From a business perspective 600 hours in 5 years and two months vacation a year is not very good utilization especially when you consider that you have to take some time out of that for training. That works out to 10 hours a month, not including the vacation. How do you keep current? I flew Feeders for Fedex and did more than that. You guys must be some kind of special to deserve all that! When you consider how much the company pays for that amount of work, to me that is not something to crow about but something to be worried about.

Ask your buddies about 1998, don't think that you wouldn't possibly see that drama happen again.

You guys have your bread buttered on both sides, the edges and it's dipped in honey. You really seriously need to quit yer b*tching!

I definitely think that the bulk of the ACMI's out there are under-paid and over-worked. I would certainly like to see something better. Am I jealous, nope!

Your lucky to be at Fedex, otherwise you would be actually working for a living.

Nothing personal. Fly Safe!

Last edited:
FedEx is a Helluva Company/Job.

It just wasn't a good fit for me in my prior 23 years of airline flying, and....It certainly wouldn't be a good fit for me now.

If I was 20-30 years old with the current, and most likely future, crappy state of the Industry it would certainly be on my "must apply" list.

So, NO...There are many of us who recognize it as a great place who are not trying to justify anything as it relates to past decision making...It simply remains that "one size does not fit all".

Just as not everyone desires to work at SWA, the same can be said for FedEx.

Doesn't make anyone or either airline a "Bad Guy".

YKW

Last edited:
4th year FO pay vs. 2nd year pay at Fedex

Atlas: $95 x 62 hr: $5890
Kalitta $88 x 62 hr: $5456

Fedex 2nd year : $140 x 74 hours x 1.09% (pension) = $11292

and yet all these idiots aren't even going to bother to apply.. Yeah, right..

Compared to the ACMI operators you guys are definitely under-worked and over-paid.

And there gentleman lies the problem with ACMI's and why they'll never be as good a place to stay as Fedex... Guys like him, who actually feel that way... instead of realizing that in fact, it's ACMI guys that are OVER WORKED and UNDER PAID.

and yet all these idiots aren't even going to bother to apply.. Yeah, right..

I dont think anyone can really argue that Fedex isn't one of the best and far exceeds World, Atlas etc....
However many people move on with their life, get married and have kids. I for one cant afford to give up a job making 200,000 a year, foreclose on my house and start flying as an engineer on a 727. Maybe it may work out better over a 10 year period....maybe not.
Some of these ACMI carriers offer a good career, Id be perfectly happy to stay here. The only thing I really like about Fedex is the stability! Again been there with AA and almost left to go to UPS several years ago....would just be getting off furlough about now......Its all a crap shoot!

I've been at FedEx for 5 yrs and have a TOTAL of 600 hrs, enough vacation to have essentially 2 months off a year (soon to increase), a lucrative retirement plan, 1st....did I say 1st Class deadheads for any travel time over 5 hrs, and an hourly pay rate as an FO the same as a Kalitta 8 yr 747 Captain. I could go on and on.

Good for you! Seriously. However, not everyone can or wants to work @ Fedex. Not starting a pi$$ing match, just stating fact.

Not one single pilot has left FedEx for any other company since I've been here. And the biggest thing of all.......what are the odds of your company being around 20yrs from now? What do you think the Vegas odds would be; (cargo company X vs. FedEx)?

Vegas odds would have also chosen Pan Am or even Eastern at times. I have no doubt that your employer will live long and prosper. It is just that the same has been said about the above mentioned airlines.

I think a lot of guys on this board have some serious misconceptions about FedEx or they are trying to justify their choices to themselves.

I think that Fedex is a fine company.

With the information that is available through forums like this, I think that most people have an accurate enough concept of what it's like to work at Fedex.

As for the choices people make; It goes without saying that you, me and everyone else justifies the choices we make. If you're suggesting that people somehow feel a need to rationalize away the reasons that they're not working at a company that is at the top of the industry, then I disagree. Everyone has their own reasons for their choices.

Cheers!

Well said, LongBeach. Life is more than money and liking what you are doing counts for a lot. I enjoy the current gig very much and plan on hanging my hat here until I become an official 'old fart' and can't fly anymore.

I've been at FedEx for 5 yrs and have a TOTAL of 600 hrs, enough vacation to have essentially 2 months off a year (soon to increase), a lucrative retirement plan, 1st....did I say 1st Class deadheads for any travel time over 5 hrs, and an hourly pay rate as an FO the same as a Kalitta 8 yr 747 Captain. I could go on and on.

Not one single pilot has left FedEx for any other company since I've been here. And the biggest thing of all.......what are the odds of your company being around 20yrs from now? What do you think the Vegas odds would be; (cargo company X vs. FedEx)?

World has been in business for 60 some years and their pilots have the privilege of flying our country's troops. Last I checked, that is a longer time being in business than FDX. Let's keep it in perspective, anything can happen to any company.

I am retiring in a couple of years from an ACMI gig and I have zero regrets for not working at DAL or FDX.

No need to be such a pompous ass in your ivory tower pal. When you grow up some more you'll see that there is more to life than money and time off on the beach. Please spare us your ability to "go on and on":rolleyes:

To each their own.

Last edited:
FedEX pros:
Hourly rate
Pension
Hours flown:
I flew 72 hours LAST YEAR. Yes, 72 hours in 2010. HKG FO who bids reserve. I have 6 years with the company and have flown 658 hours Total. Doesn't take higher level education to do 658/6 and figure out how many hours per year I have flown...

Cons:
The flying SUCKS.
Fedex intl pilots think 48 hours is a "long" layover.
When I was at ATA, 72 hours was considered a "short" layover.
5 days was considered a long one. Those have never even existed at Fedex.

Definitely a job you come to for the hourly rate. Not the quality of flying.

Bitchin is good!

All pilots bitch. No matter how good you have it, pilots always bitch. A happy pilot is a bitchin pilot. It is the nature of the beast.

Latest resources

Back