Atlas questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gobucks

I've read through just about every Polar/Atlas thread from the last 2 years, and can't find the answer to a few questions I have, specifically for the Atlas folks. What is the average upgrade time right now (for both Classic and -400)? Your best guess, what would you expect upgrade times to be when the retirements come over the next 5 years? I'm aware of the details about being based in Stansted, and how tough that commute is. That being said, is QOL pretty decent once you get Gateway basing? Last question, when looking at the pilot payscale, when you upgrade to captain at Atlas, do you start at year 1 captain, or is it your total years with the company--i.e. suppose someone upgrades at their 7th year with Atlas, do they start at Captain year 1 pay or Captain year 7 pay? Thanks to whoever takes the time to answer my post!

Heard a rumor today that Polar will begin hiring soon.....I wonder WHAT'S COOKING?????

A few other questions I'll add on. I know the monthly guarantee is 62/65 hours, but what do people normally credit? Are there any specific guarantees such as minimum daily, duty or trip rigs, etc?

What times are competive in order to get hired? Is 4300 tt 3000 hours in RJ's with 1300 Turbine PIC anywhere close?

Utah said:
A few other questions I'll add on. I know the monthly guarantee is 62/65 hours, but what do people normally credit? Are there any specific guarantees such as minimum daily, duty or trip rigs, etc?

What times are competive in order to get hired? Is 4300 tt 3000 hours in RJ's with 1300 Turbine PIC anywhere close?

Nope.

Nope? As in he's not competitive?

I dont know about Polar/Atlas but i was hired at a very similar company called Kalitta Air with 5000TT 3000Jet and only 250PICJet. (all the jet time was in a smaller craft than yours).

Whats the harm in applying?

I have no real idea what upgrade times will be (and maybe I don't really want to know the answer) but I did fly with a new captain recently that said he moved over to the left seat in his 7th year (like in the above example)...his longevity went right along with him when he changed seats - so he started his life as a captain on 7th year captain pay.

Also, I had the dubious honor of doing the STN based thing and I can say that yes QOL does get noticeably better after getting "gateway" back in the states. Not having to worry about commuting/jumpseating to europe and back on your own dime definitely helps. Hopefully the next contract will see this current system disappear somehow (home-basing for everybody would be nice...but what do I know).

Regarding pay - first year guarantee is 50 hours/month (yet another thing that makes the STN commute such a joy). After that is goes to 62 hours/month. No trip/duty rigs (perhaps in the next contract). We can be extended by up to 4 days per month - but at least they will pay you what they call "premium" pay for working extra on your days off.

As far as competitive flying hours for hiring goes... I am sure they vary all across the board - depending on who else is in the pool at the time, etc... But I do know that they have hired folks with (relatively) low time (and/or smaller a/c types...including smaller than RJ's) ...so I definitely wouldn't count yourself out.

Hope this helps - best of luck & best regards,

Latest resources

Back